What does RUST developer do exactly?

Almost anything which i found on interenet could be done with my prev skills like build rest api , web servers . Things like os, compiler, and web assembly seems to me different should i go and build these or do i have to do make again web based apps using web framework.What are the things on which the rust dev gonna be working.

1 Like

If that, or anything else, is really boring for you then why would you even consider doing it, let alone again? Unless you have a good reason for the effort, like nobody wants to pay you or you need it for something else, then don't do it.

Building a decent OS or compiler is a huge project and can take many years for teams of people. I presume there will be a lot to learn about operating systems or compilers for you. Are you up for that?

Building a minimal OS or compiler can be an interesting manageably sized task mind.

Nobody can advise. The question is what are you interested in? Is there something you may need as a tool to get something else you want done, and so on. Only you know these things.

6 Likes

This goes back to the argument of: Nearly all languages are Turing Complete, but the differences lies in how concise, expressive, and most importantly, how many errors can be caught at compile time.

4 Likes

properly answered through the hard words for this type of ques.

okay, then what are the things that i could consider checking out like which field can u plz suggest me some? for cultivating taste.

I think I understand. You have previous experience with backend web development building rest servers and web servers.

Now you are learning rust and want ideas for new projects to explore areas different to web servers.

If you enjoyed web development, there's certainly nothing stopping you from using rust both on the backend and frontend thanks to wasm.

Otherwise there are too many options to list, rust is a versatile language that can be used for many things. Everything you've listed has been attempted in rust.

A couple links to project ideas:

• Rust | CodeCrafters (sign in required) - lots of various projects. I've seen it recommended before and looks good, not tried myself yet though
  • https://craftinginterpreters.com/ (written for java. requires adapting to rust) - I've tried this and it's enlightening for someone like me completely new to creating programming languages. I haven't finished it yet though, there's plenty to do!
3 Likes

I can only talk of what I do with Rust...

1. Yes the web server thing. Rest API's, web socket server, SQL mangling and so on. I used Rocket for that, quite nice.

2. Embedded systems. We have little ARM base SBCs out in the field interfacing to and collecting data from various devices and controlling them. Linux based.

3. Micro-services. If we can call it that. In the "cloud" gathering and interpreting data from said remote embedded devices.

I have yet to find a place where Rust is not suitable. Although I have yet to use Rust in the browser or create a desktop GUI application in Rust.

The world is wide open for Rust for anyone who values robust, reliable, performant programs.

6 Likes

thanks for sharing this, can u plz suggest me Rust free course

Not really, never followed one. I started with the Rust Book The Rust Programming Language - The Rust Programming Language and started cutting code from there. Other than that one can find all kind of Rust tutorials and other presentations on YouTube. And of course I come here when I get stuck.

1 Like

The book is good, don't be discouraged if you find yourself getting stuck partway through, you could be "only" 6 chapters or so in and walk away able to write some decent programs in rust. Come back as and when you find yourself unsure how to solve a specific problem and feel you're lacking a tool.

There's also exercism and rustlings off the top of my head, neither of which are a course exactly... Oh there was a free uni course someone mentioned here the other day (probably over a month ago, ha!) This was the course: COMP6991 23T3 — Solving Modern Programming Problems with Rust
It starts very easy and builds up. I found it was quite good, not finished it, it gets challenging enough. If you like uni style structured course materials it's got all that going on (assignments, weekly exercises, ...) Doing it for free you don't get marked of course, but it's cool the material is there to use

2 Likes