Visual Studio support!

Daniel Griffen has implemented a Rust extension for Visual Studio (nb, not Visual Studio Code).

It is early in development, but already supports all the core functionality (code completion, goto def, renaming, etc). If your're a Visual Studio user, try it out and let us know what you think!

14 Likes

Thanks for the announcement Nick!

I'm the extension author, so if anyone has any questions regarding the extension feel free to ask.

6 Likes

Congrats on this release!

I note that this (currently) requires a VS preview build to obtain the language server support.

I'm working on Mac and thus far haven't found any reference to language server support in Visual Studio for Mac builds.

Had either of you seen anything about this for Mac builds or have any thoughts on this extension eventually being functional on Mac?

Unfortunately I have no information on if or when the extension will be available for Mac. VS for Mac is a bit of a misnomer, It was originally Xamarin Studio and was re-branded after the acquisition by Microsoft. Currently there is little to no interoperability between Visual Studio and Visual Studio for Mac.

1 Like

I had no idea that was the case. I just recently downloaded it to play with after I stumbled across it at random.

Knowing now that it isn't the same thing as what you get on Windows I'm not sure i'll bother digging further.

Thanks for the tip!

The plugin tells me "required components not installed" with an "Install" button. When I click the button, it now tells me "could not install one of the required rls components". Any ideas? Should I open an issue somewhere? Should I start a new thread?

For anyone interested: I figured it out. I had rls installed via rustup before I downloaded the plugin. When I uninstalled rls and then clicked the Install button, the plugin got rls and started working correctly.

1 Like