Rust Roadmap Tracker

I'm happy to announce that the preliminary roadmap tracker has now gone live!

This tracker is a github repo that we will use solely for the issue tracker. There are issues for each of the vision statements, for major projects, and for each subteam. The goal is to keep everyone informed of the most significant work going on toward our roadmap goals, as well as other major subteam activity.

Since we're just kicking this off, the tracker is a bit lean at the moment. Subteams will be populating the issues in greater detail over the coming weeks.

If you believe a project should be added within the tracker, please leave a comment on the appropriate "parent" issue, i.e. a Vision issue, an Area of exploration, or a Team roadmap. And in general, feel free to use comments to ask questions, pitch ideas, or mention updates that need to be made!

Please dive in, leave comments, and let us know what you think!

17 Likes

If we're working on our own projects that could be beneficial to this, should we comment on any of the issues? I'm working on the borrow visualizer and wondering if that's something people would want to track.

2 Likes

Absolutely! We'll figure out over time how best to incorporate those into the issues themselves, but you should always feel free to leave comments.

When will Rust learning materials available for newcomers to programming and when will you target all groups when writing official learning materials? is it in this year roadmap or next years?

As some of you may be aware from the reddit side of the community there was a discussion about production ready crates here https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/5ooioi/prerfc_an_idea_to_assist_in_the_discoverability/ which led to https://github.com/production-rs/bikeshed which now contains a lot of the feedback received. Would this effort fit into the roadmap? From my perspective it could lead to a "LTS/promoted crates" team and should help a bunch with discoverability and learning curve (especially in light of ESR's comments). Apologies if this is not the place to mention this, any pointers to the appropriate team/person would be greatly appreciated.

We've been doing some work on that over at the RustBridge project. There's still considerable research to be done on how to teach Rust to absolute beginners, as many of its features are built for the long run. So it might be hard for people where working on larger systems is still a few years out.

Working on "Rust for people who have never programmed" is not directly on the radar, no. I can't speak for next year; we only decide one year into the future.

Any measure like this would have to figure out how to get around the sound rejection of The Rust Platform · Aaron Turon by the Rust community generally. (I really liked the proposal, but many didn't)

A good place to discuss this further would be on the libs team page in the tracker.

As @steveklabnik mentioned, we've proposed something very similar in the past, but there was a strong negative reaction (see the internals thread). There were a lot of good points made (some summarized here), so I'd encourage re-reading those threads before proposing something new.

What the libs team is currently thinking about is directing energy toward important crates that aren't yet at a 1.0 level of polish, and helping push them over the line (this is explicitly part of the roadmap). We're thinking through the mechanics right now, and should have a concrete proposal soon.

Not sure if this should go here - but I'm a new user of Rust who's also new to programming. I have experience with PL/SQL - but that's about it. My current job centers around writing complex ad hoc queries and some sprocs/triggers for data analysis in the research science field.

I've been keeping record of all my "newbie" questions that I have with Rust, and a project I've been working on that uses Rust as the primary language - as I decided it was about time to actually learn a programming language. I'll be publishing all of these via a Gitbook in the next few weeks if this is of interest to the community in understanding what struggles I've had trying to get into the Rust language as a beginner.

5 Likes

That sounds awesome! Please post a link to the learning curve issue once it's ready.