Looking to help contribute to budding open source projects

Hey all, I recently asked Steve Klabnik on Twitter if he knew of any suggestions for new projects that might need assistance. He recommended I ask here!

Are there any early stage projects that could use a hand from someone with programming experience (but is still working through the beginner stages of learning Rust).

I’d love to build up my skills and also help out the community while I’m at it.

Are there any early stage projects that could use a hand from someone with programming experience

What kind of projects are you looking for thematically?

I have a few issues of cargo-edit labelled with ‘help wanted’ here, feel free to help out! (It’s not really ‘early stage’ but that might be a good thing since we have working tests and a bunch of code that I would call idiomatic. :slightly_smiling:)

Another idea might be to look on crates.io for some interesting crates that are ≤0.1.0!

You might be interested in serde YAML which is a serialisation library for YAML.

It’s trying to get off the ground but needs some love. To me, serde is great to work with because it captures a lot of idiomatic Rust patterns.

What kind of projects are you looking for thematically?

Didn’t have any specific feature or subject in mind. I’ll read through some of your help wanted issues and see if there is anything I can try and do :slight_smile: and thanks for the crates.io suggestion, totally forgot about that as a source of idea.

You might be interested in serde YAML which is a serialisation library for YAML.

Will definitely take a look at it! (though my familiarity with YAML is pretty sparse)

New to open source contribution and Rust myself.

I’m working on below crate (for a project) which has wrappers over mosquitto mqtt client library. This is still in very early development stages and I wish to maintain it for a long time.

Would love some help with this. Also looking for people who could review this code.

I’m started a graphical disassembler in Rust around halt a year ago. Currently it supports AVR, C64 and basic AMD64. It’s meant to be a free/libre replacement to tools like IDA Pro with a fancy QML UI that allows even non-experts to do basic reverse engineering tasks.

I’m pretty new to Rust myself and there are loads of things to improve. Also, the project is still in the 0.X stage so bigger architectural changes are possible in case you find a better way to do something.

I’d love to get some help. Even if you just try it out and send me some bug reports.

https://panopticon.re/

Both rustful and palette are always open for contributions, no matter the Rust experience. I’ll do my best to mentor when necessary and answer any questions.

Rustful isn’t really early stage, but rather under development. It’s a small http framework on top of Hyper, with focus on being small and user friendly. It’s a bit of a mix between high and low level.

Palette is very new and is currently going through some large changes with quite a bunch of to-do issues. It’s a library for working with colors and converting between different color spaces and pixel encodings. The idea is to make it easier to set up a linear color work flow without having to do all the conversion math.