What is the difference between orbtk and iced GUI libraries/crates?

I am looking for the right GUI library/crate which is quite cross compatible but I wanted to know what is the fundemental differences between iced and orbtk?

I know that orbtk supports Android whereas with iced it might not possibly work without doing some sort of trick or something but what are the main differences?

1. What are the pros and cons between the two GUI crates?
  2. Is orbtk retained or immediate mode? Is it harder or easier to code with orbtk compared to iced?

They both look rather nice actually. I haven't used orbtk at all, and I've barely done anything with Iced.

It is worth noting that the way that orbtk is targeting android right now is through cargo node which hasn't been updated in two years and also works by using the web build of the UI. This means that:

1. Cargo node probably isn't getting updated and may or may not work right now, you'd have to try it
  2. If Cargo node works, you could probably use it to deploy the web version of Iced to android as well

So as far as cross-platform-ness I don't know that theres a big advantage to orbtk at this point.

As far as how easy they are to use, a look at the examples makes me think they are both pretty easy and you'd have to try them out for something to figure out for sure.

What if I used something like either cargo-mobile or android-ndk-rs?

Right I see, thanks mate :slight_smile:

Those are focused on building for Android natively, not using web builds, so while that will work, it will only work if Iced supports Android natively.

1 Like

Right I see thanks mate

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.