Rhein-Main area Rust meetup (Germany)

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to start a monthly Rust meetup in Germany's Rhein-Main area. The planned format is a casual meeting with a few talks mixed in. Rust newbies would be very welcome.

I've already organized a location in Darmstadt (Cowo21) and I'm willing to give a talk. I'd like to hold the first meetup in the second week of November.

At this point, I'd like to get some general feedback. Once I know if there's interest, we can find concrete date.

I would love to meet a few Rustacean (however that word is pronounced :slight_smile: ) in person!

Update: A date had been set for November 13, 7 pm. Details here: Login to Meetup | Meetup

4 Likes

I'll be there if I can make it. However, I don't have time on Mondays and Tuesdays, so I hope it'll be on another day.

If you like, I can give a talk about Rust (intro), clippy, our benchmarksgame entries, or whatever you folks are interested in.

The location is available on all days during that week, so I think we can work something out (especially since you're willing to give a talk :slight_smile: ).

That would be great! Let's work out the details once we get a general sense of who's coming.

I'm very interested in attending and quite flexible w.r.t. time and day. I don't think I have anything to give a talk about, but if something occurs to me I may do it.

I'm also interested in attending and Darmstadt is very convenient for me, so I'll probably be there (if it's not on a Thursday) :smiley:

I'm interested as well.

I'm also interested (mainly in listening, just starting with Rust...)

Thanks for your replies, everyone! There seems to be a lot of interest, which is awesome :smile:

I've set up a Doodle here: http://doodle.com/poll/8strav9n8yay5yif

Please pick the dates that work for you. I'd like to finalize the date within the next few days, if possible.

There's also a group on meetup.com now: I've set up a group on meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/Rust-Rhein-Main/

Feel free to join and RSVP!

Just started with Rust, but would definitely be interested

I'm also very interested but coming from Düsseldorf,
May it be possible to participate via Hangout / Skype / ...?

We have a reasonably fast internet connection at the location, but no conference call infrastructure that I'm aware of. We could use my laptop's built-in camera and microphone, but I doubt this will work very well.

If someone has equipment they want to set up on location, I'm willing to help out, but I won't take this on myself, sorry.

I tried this the last time at the Cologne meetup. It worked, but not well. That said, perhaps we want to record the talks (if someone has the equipment)?

I'm not such a huge fan of recording of meetups. It's a greater hassle then most people believe and I don't see huge gains coming out of it.

(which reminds me that I still have the talks from the 1.0 party to cut and release...)

I agree. Just put the slides online and be done with it. :slight_smile:

That reminds me: If anyone want to create a website for a Rust meetup, feel free to clone http://rustaceans.cologne/. It's hosted on Github Pages and the code is here. All you need to do is adjust the _config.yml and add your own events as files in _posts.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The date has been set to Friday, November 13 at 7 pm. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of you there :smile:

Link to the meetup: Login to Meetup | Meetup

Hi Hanno,
I would be interested; Darmstadt would be great, I'm coming from Heidelberg.
Thanks for the initiative!
Regards, Meinolf

You're welcome!
In case you haven't read the whole thread, a date has been set. Details here: Login to Meetup | Meetup

Reminder: The meetup is taking place this week on Friday at 19:00. The location is Cowo21 (Holzhofallee 21) in Darmstadt. All details here: Login to Meetup | Meetup

1 Like