What's everyone working on this week (18/2021)?

New week, new Rust! What are you folks up to?

I finished working on high-level guides for Stepper. My next goal is to revive Stepper's test stand. The test stand was a bit of a failed experiment, but it would be very useful to have it working. The next step is do some research and make a plan for how it could work.

1 Like

I'm learning how to render stuff using js-sys and WebGL. I've used js-sys before with a regular 2d canvas context, and briefly touched on OpenGL for a university assignment, but this is the first time I've tried WebGL. It's quite challenging, but I'm really happy with the progress I've made so far. I can draw different kinds of shapes, add directional lighting, and animate their movement. In the next few days, I'm hoping to get a scene graph working, and move the camera around the scene with the keyboard/mouse. I originally started learning it just to be able to make a nice-looking 3D visualization of a graph data structure, but I'm having so much fun learning how WebGL works that I want to try everything else before getting back to that.

1 Like

i'm working on shared utils between my quickjs and spidermonkey runtime projects, first up is a shared fetch api.

I already have a very basic fetch working in the quickjs variant and now i want to try to support all the features fetch should support.

Also the current variant uses the sync ureq, since i'm doing most stuff async nowadays i gues i'm also gonna try a different (async) http client.

I'm currently working on a CHIP-8 virtual machine in idiomatic Rust, to learn about the basics of emulation. After that's done, I plan on writing an emulator for the Game Boy or Nintendo Entertainment System.

I've been working on advent_of_code_traits which has exposed me to traits much more than anything I've done previously. Associated types, super traits, (const!) Generic Parameters, Fully Qualified Syntax, all an interesting learning experience.