Rust for back-end development

Hey Guys,
As I search we use rust for system programming. but is it good and ok use rust for back-end programming? like go and java for example? if it is ok, why no place talked about this topic or any tutorials for rust in back-end programming?

Can you elaborate some on what you consider the differences between “system programming” and “back-end programming” are? “Backend” can refer to the non-user-facing parts of many different applications and architectures; is there a particular one you had in mind?

2 Likes

thank you for your response, I mention something like this:
when we search about back-end programming language we see these languages as a result: java, python, javascript, go and ... but no result or better say the bold result for rust language. and I really love to do with rust most of my programming work because I love this programming language.
my question is more about is it ok if I start back-end development in a way that people do back-end things with some language that I mentioned with rust?

Of course; you don’t need any of our permission to do whatever you like with Rust. It’s a general-purpose language, and is quite capable of almost any programming task. It’s hard to get any more specific than that without more details about what you have in mind.

1 Like

I guess we have to ask what you mean by "back end"?

My small company is using Rust:

1. As web servers, using Rocket, for serving up web pages and "REST" APIs.

2. As web socket servers, streaming real-time data to connected clients.

3. As "micro services" collecting, decoding, filtering, routing data from remote "IoT" devices.

4. On the remote "IoT" devices themselves, retrieving data from sensors and forwarding to the "cloud".

5. All with our database behind it.

I think that is about as "back end" as one can get.

Please excuse the use of quotation marks in all the above. The system does what we want it to do, even if it does not comply with the latest buzz words. We like to make things work, not check buzz word boxes.

Anyway, despite being new to Rust a year ago and despite the frustration one might have with Rust coming from other languages, this has all turned out to be rock solid and perform very well.

Which I guess is why guys like DropBox and NPM and the like have started to use Rust for their "back ends".

3 Likes

Rust is useful for web back-ends that need to be fast and/or have low memory usage.

If your back-end is light, and mainly copying small bits of data out of a database, Rust can do it, but lots of other languages can do it well, too.

But if you need some more complex processing, transformation, compression, sophisticated caching, then Rust becomes very useful.

For example, I use Rust back-end to resize and compress images.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.