Rust speed in server side

Hi, :slightly_smiling_face:
I want to know is Rust good for back-end programming or not?
I read somewhere that the rust language is not suitable for server-side programming. Is that true?
Is it fast enough?

Performance should be no problem -- Rust is a natively compiled language with no runtime (like garbage collection), which competes well with the likes of C and C++.

You may instead find challenges that the library ecosystem is still relatively young, especially for async/await programming, but this is constantly improving.

It's definitely fast enough. In some benchmarks it's the fastest server-side language:

Where did you read such a thing? What reasons did it give for making that claim? Give us something to work on.

Of course it's fast enough. It's a compiled language like C++. A such will outrun the likes of Java, Javascript, Python, PHP, whatever you have on the server.

I can only speak of our experience implementing server side processes in Rust in the almost a year since I discovered it. We have connections to databases. We have connections to the NATS messaging system. We push JSON data to browsers in real-time with web sockets. We serve HTTP via the Rocket crate. We munch on complex proprietary protocols that call for a lot of low level bit and byte twiddling.

Previously we used to node.js and C++ to do this kind of thing. It's nice to be able to do it in a single language that provides better performance and is rock solid.

When you hear that people like NPM are switching chunks of their infrastructure to Rust from node.js you have to believe this is viable. They are the node.js guys!

Of course if you idea of "good for back-end" is some gigantic, all singing, all dancing framework then you might not find such a thing is available in Rust yet.

You might find this example how to run Rust on Google Cloud Run interesting.

https://github.com/Ameobea/rust-cloud-run-demo

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.