New Date/Time Library?

So... after poking around a bit in Rust, I went looking for date/time libraries, because I have some strong opinions about how to do that.

I found chrono, but I find myself fundamentally opposed to its core model for DateTime - using trait implementations for whether it represents something in UTC, your "local" offset, or some other, unknown offset:

let utc: DateTime<Utc> = Utc::now(); // e.g. `2014-11-28T12:45:59.324310806Z`
let local: DateTime<Local> = Local::now(); // e.g. `2014-11-28T21:45:59.324310806+09:00`

Putting aside all the specific complaints I have about this model, what's the consensus on developing a competing library for this?

• Too widely used, don't bother.
  • Would prefer a different domain model, but not sure what.
  • Get something started, we'll see.
  • (Something else?)

Personally, I find something similar to Java's java.time library, or the C# NodaTime package to be a more natural model. Here's a table listing out what the base types are for java.time and their closest equivalents in standard rust and chrono:

Java type Purpose closest chrono equivalent
LocalDate date-only NaiveDate
LocalTime time-only NaiveTime
LocalDateTime date-time without timezone or offset NaiveDateTime
OffsetDateTime date-time with an offset from UTC DateTime<FixedOffset>
ZonedDateTime date-time with a timezone DateTime<Tz> (from the chrono-tz crate)
Duration exact amount of time Duration
Period inexact amount of time - years, months, days none
Instant timezone and offset agnostic point on timeline none (std::time::Instant represents something akin to a "system uptime clock". std::time::SystemTime is closer, but the documentation concentrates too much on "what time does my system think the time is?", whereas java.time.Instant is explicitly "this represents this point on the timeline", and hence is not opaque. Whether it's the actual instant is left as an exercise for the application)

I've been playing around privately with translating java.time into Rust, but figured I would ask before I put any more effort into it. The original Java version heavily depends on subclassing and virtual calls, which don't work so well in Rust, but the core types are usable without most of that indirection.

2 Likes

My biggest problem with dates and times in Rust just now is not so much chrono, but the seeming lack of any sensible way of parsing human style strings into dates and durations. The at command shows how things can be done, chrono seems not to allow anything of this sort.

But Chrono does allow for at least some arbitrary parsing.

The Java library has similar capabilities (possibly more, I haven't checked the Chrono crate much in that area), but you could use it to build the at command. Chrono can get at least some of it as well.

Doing at-command style parsing isn't something I'd expect either library to handle.

Porting https://github.com/substack/parse-messy-time to a separate crate might perhaps be a sensible place to start.