My Rust Repository Checklist for Clean, Deterministic, and Maintainable Codebases

Hi everyone,

After working on several Rust codebases (both personal projects and production work), I’ve put together a practical checklist that helps me keep repositories clean, deterministic, and easier to maintain over time.

I’d like to share my current development philosophy, especially around production-grade practices and enforcing quality early.

1. Readability & Self-Documenting Code

  • I prefer idiomatic functional style with iterators (.map(), .filter(), .collect() etc.) whenever it keeps the logic clear and declarative.
  • I try to make code self-explanatory through good naming and small, focused functions. I use inline comments sparingly — mainly for unsafe blocks, complex algorithms, or “why” decisions.
  • Public APIs get proper /// documentation for clean rustdoc.

2. Robust Error Handling

  • I treat .unwrap() / .expect() as code smells in core logic. Panics in production are usually a sign that error cases weren’t properly modeled.
  • I rely heavily on the ? operator with explicit Result types, making error paths first-class citizens in both code and tests.

3. Testing Strategy

  • Unit tests live close to the code (#[cfg(test)] mod tests) for fast feedback.
  • More complex integration and polyglot boundary tests go into the tests/ directory to simulate real usage.

4. Strict Local Quality Gates (My Favorite Part)
Before every commit, I run a local hook suite:

  • cargo fmt --check
  • cargo clippy --all-targets --all-features -- -D warnings (treat warnings as errors)
  • Full test suite (cargo test)
  • Dependency hygiene checks

This gives me high confidence that broken or low-quality code doesn’t even reach the repository.


I've recently been trying to summarize my methods into a skills.md file so that AI can understand it and use it in real-world projects. If possible, please give me some suggestions.

How can style rules be input into LLMs without causing hallucinations?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.