I just made my first open source contribution!

After the discussion in this topic, I submitted a PR clarifying the docs for the slice sorting methods. It just got accepted, which makes it my first open source contribution ever! :tada: I know it's a tiny, mostly inconsequential change, but I'm pretty stoked because I've never done anything like this before and it's great to be able to give back to the community, even in the smallest of ways :slight_smile:

33 Likes

Congrats. Small contributions accumulate. Keep it up.

1 Like

:partying_face:

Yay! Documentation is a big deal, even if it's a small change!

Improving docs is a great way to get started. Apparently I didn’t do it for Rust, but for the Haskell compiler I did a few documentation typos, the first one was just a single character. (I’m not actually sure, that might’ve technically been my own first open source contribution. Nevermind this was the first one, but it’s also a typo in Haskell docs; just not the compiler’s repository, but some common/official library.) Another easy way in is with small improvements in the standard library. I recently created an E-easy issue that allowed someone else to make their first contribution.

Congrats! I am also pretty new at making any open source contributions. I published my first crate and someone submitted a pull request! It made me feel so happy. Congrats.

4 Likes

Awesome! That's how you start! Also, documentation is massively important and is often down prioritized. So it's a good place to help out with

Great to hear. I was really happy the first time I had a PR merged as well. Unreal. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your contribution! :white_check_mark:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.