How to find small (and intermediate) open source projects to contribute to?

Hello all,

I am on the last chapter of the rust book and have done a small amount of rust projects on my own github.

I am interested in trying to contribute to the open source community, but I don't know where exactly to start or where to look for places to contribute.

I am a new junior developer, so I am worried large projects might be too overwhelming of a code base to learn, since I am already trying to learn a whole new code base ASAP at my new job.

Thanks!

1 Like

If you have not already, I recommend subscribing to This Week In Rust. This email newsletter includes a section highlighting requests for contributions, some specifically targeting new contributors and offering e-mentors, depending on the issue.

4 Likes

Thanks!! That actually perfectly answers what I need lol.

1 Like

A search like this can be useful: Search · label:help-wanted language:Rust · GitHub

2 Likes

Another project I suggest is librsvg. They’re open to new contributors, and it’s a small codebase with lots of impact.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.