How to clear/flush the DNS cache? (Windows)

I am looking for a way to programmatically clear/flush the local dns cache (Equivalent of calling "ipconfig /flushdns").

Rust doesn't have built-in methods for things like this. You need to find how to do that in C or other language using the Windows API, and adapt that to Rust. Perhaps the windows crate will have the required API.

2 Likes

Okay thank you i'll have a look, can you give me some resources on how to adapt that (C) to Rust? that would be nice.

The Windows crate has its general documentation about using appropriate windows DLLs and their APIs.

Other than that, Rust calls using C functions "FFI", so look for tutorials on using the C FFI.

1 Like

This API is a little more complicated than C FFI, since it’s only available via WMI. To call it from Rust you’ll need to use the WMI API’s from the windows crate to do the equivalent of

Invoke-CimMethod -Namespace root/StandardCimv2 -ClassName MSFT_DNSClientCache -MethodName Clear

which is also harder to understand because WMI is built on COM.

2 Likes

OK, this wasn’t quite so bad, particularly since the Clear method doesn’t take any parameters, apart from that monstrous CoInitializeSecurity() function call that I just copied from Microsoft’s documentation:

use windows::core::BSTR;
use windows::Win32::System::Com::*;
use windows::Win32::System::Wmi::{IWbemLocator, WbemLocator};

fn clear_dns_cache() -> windows::core::Result<()> {
    let namespace = BSTR::from(r"root/StandardCimv2");
    let dns_client_cache = BSTR::from("MSFT_DNSClientCache");
    let clear = BSTR::from("Clear");
    unsafe {
        let loc: IWbemLocator = CoCreateInstance(&WbemLocator, None, CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER)?;
        let svc = loc.ConnectServer(&namespace, None, None, None, 0, None, None)?;
        svc.ExecMethod(&dns_client_cache, &clear, 0, None, None, None, None)
    }
}

fn main() {
    unsafe {
        CoInitializeEx(None, COINIT_MULTITHREADED).expect("CoInitializeEx failed unexpectedly");
        CoInitializeSecurity(
            None,
            None,
            None,
            RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_DEFAULT,
            RPC_C_IMP_LEVEL_IMPERSONATE,
            None,
            EOAC_NONE,
            None,
        )
        .expect("CoInitializeSecurity failed unexpectedly");
    }
    if let Err(e) = clear_dns_cache() {
        eprintln!("WMI error: {}", e);
    }
}
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.