(closed) Paid Online Research: Rust Programmers’ On-board Programming Experience and Challenges

Researchers at the Pennsylvania State University are conducting a study to understand Rust programmers’ on-board programming experience and the challenges they face when programming with Rust. Throughout a survey link, you will answer questions about Rust programming and your programming experience. The survey will take about 20 minutes. You will earn a $10 Amazon gift card for completing the study.

You are eligible to participate in this study if you are:

· At least 18 years old

· An active user of Rust

· Fluent in English

· Not currently be residing in the EEA

To participate, please click the following link:

(closed)

Please finish the survey on PC or Mac, and mobile devices are not supported.

Many research projects in human-centered computing depend on participation by individuals like yourself. We are very grateful for your help. Also, please DO NOT discuss this survey with others because this might jeopardize our research.

Thank you again for your participation in this study.

Any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Email: rust.pennstate@gmail.com

Phone Number: +1 814-865-2370

You can also find the contact information of Dr. Linhai Song and Dr. Aiping Xiong from their homepages.

Due to the nature of the work, you may only complete the survey once. Participants will not be compensated if they are suspected of fraudulent behavior.

2 Likes

I went to the survey but it didn't load. I just got a blank page.

Update: I tried again later and got in.

This seems like the type of offer where if more than one group starts doing this, it will become very annoying very fast.

If I got a message purporting to be from my bank, requesting information and suggesting I contact them via a gmail email address and/or linking to something on github.io I would immediately assume it was some kind of fishing attack.

Likewise this does not look legit.

I'm not suggesting there is anything nefarious going on here. It just does not look good. A view which I'm sure a professors with interests in security and "Human Perception and Action" should have some sympathy for.

Also, why is being European being discriminated against? As far as I know there is no problem with collecting non-personal information from residents of Europe.

Also, haven't we had this discussion here before very recently?

Please see this previous topic where you asked the same questions and they were answered.

Note that you can click on a user's name or icon to see their past activity.

3 Likes

Ah, that is it. I guess my concerns are of no concern then.

Curious that the entire first post there has strike through.

It's an interesting survey. I encourage Rustaceans to take it if they have 20 minutes to spare. :+1:

I would if I could.

Perhaps the questions could be put up for all to read even if we can't partake from Europe.

Having taken the survey, that would be detrimental to the research if done before the end of the survey period. One part is a "look at this simple rust program you haven't seen before", and having discussion about it outside the survey would be harmful.

Thank you all for participating in our survey. Once we finish the data collection, we will send out the gift card for eligible participants who completed the survey. If you have any further questions, feel free to email us.
Thank you very much for your patience!

Interesting. Please post a link here to your paper when you are done.

As far as I know, European data protection laws are causing a huge overhead for a lot of people, even if you just have to evaluate whether they apply in your case or not. I'm really sad I cannot partake from Europe, but I can understand anyone who doesn't want to deal with that extra overhead.

I feel sad, but not discriminated against.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.