Unsafe and strerror() - impossible to fix?

Inspired by a comment on a supposedly unnecessary Mutex in my code, I want to review all unsafe occurrences in mmtkvdb and add proper // SAFETY comments. I got already stuck at the first occurrence of unsafe:

/// Converts an error code from LMDB into a `Result`
fn check_err_code(code: c_int) -> io::Result<()> {
    if code > 0 {
        Err(io::Error::from_raw_os_error(code))
    } else if code < 0 {
        Err(io::Error::new(
            io::ErrorKind::Other,
            unsafe { CStr::from_ptr(lmdb::mdb_strerror(code)) }
                .to_str()
                .unwrap_or("unknown error (LMDB error string is not valid UTF-8)"),
        ))
    } else {
        Ok(())
    }
}

It should always be okay to call mdb_strerror(code) with any integer (maybe it would be safer to demand that the error code is valid, though). However, even though not explicitly documented in the LMDB API, mdb_strerror(code) doesn't seem to be thread-safe as in it could "return a pointer to an internal static buffer that could be overwritten by calls from other threads". This is because it internally directly uses strerror() without synchronizing (source), and strerror() is specified to "return a pointer to an internal static buffer that could be overwritten by calls from other threads" (at least on FreeBSD).

So how to fix this? I guess I could use a static Mutex to synchronize my calls of mdb_strerror. But this doesn't fix my problem as any other crate in any other thread could invoke strerror(), right?

Is this impossible to fix?

I guess this might be as unfixable as the set_var unsoundness (for the exact same reason).

3 Likes

:sob:

Okay, but… what do I do now? :thinking: I think the only "solution" is to refrain from using the mdb_strerror function. I guess I could simply return an integer error code (which isn't nice), or I copy the table from the LMDB source into my own source? Unfortunately that table is declared static, so I really would need to copy it from the source (unless I patch LMDB).

I found this entry in LMDB's bugzilla. It basically states that mdb_strerror is thread-safe, but only if you call it with LMDB's error codes (and not system error codes or invalid/unknown codes). This is also what I would deduce from the source code here.

It's not documented in the API specification though.

However, if I could rely on that, then I could simply mark my own fn check_err_code as unsafe and demand the code must be a valid code. If it's a system error, then I branch into this anyway:

The only way where strerror could actually be called is when the error code is invalid.

So to conclude:

My function check_err_code is unsound. It should be marked unsafe and demand that code is a valid error code. Luckily that (private) function can't be called with invalid error codes (edit: from outside the module), so the overall module should be sound.

My "solution":

/// Converts an error code from LMDB into a `Result`
-fn check_err_code(code: c_int) -> io::Result<()> {
+///
+/// # Safety
+///
+/// * If `code` is negative, it must be a valid LMDB error code.
+/// * `lmdb::mdb_strerror` is assumed to be thread-safe for valid negative LMDB
+///   error codes. This is currently not guaranteed by LMDB's API
+///   documentation. See also: `https://bugs.openldap.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8361`
+unsafe fn check_err_code(code: c_int) -> io::Result<()> {
     if code > 0 {
         Err(io::Error::from_raw_os_error(code))
     } else if code < 0 {
         Err(io::Error::new(
             io::ErrorKind::Other,
+            // SAFETY: because `code` is negative and an existent LMDB error
+            // code, `lmdb::mdb_strerror` returns a pointer to a static
+            // C string (not guaranteed by the API docs, but believed to not
+            // change in future versions of LMDB)
             unsafe { CStr::from_ptr(lmdb::mdb_strerror(code)) }
                 .to_str()
                 .unwrap_or("unknown error (LMDB error string is not valid UTF-8)"),

Now this is also scary:

#ifdef _WIN32
	/** HACK: pad 4KB on stack over the buf. Return system msgs in buf.
	 *	This works as long as no function between the call to mdb_strerror
	 *	and the actual use of the message uses more than 4K of stack.
	 */
#define MSGSIZE	1024
#define PADSIZE	4096
	char buf[MSGSIZE+PADSIZE], *ptr = buf;
#endif

A workaround would be to copy the returned C string as soon as possible, instead of passing a &str to std::io::Error::new. However, this problem also doesn't seem to affect mmtkvdb because that hackery buf is only used for positive or non-existent error codes. The positive error codes are passed to std::io::Error::from_raw_os_error, which should be sound, of course. And negative non-existent error codes should not occur (and for which reason the check_err_code function will be declared unsafe in future, as explained in my previous post).

My overall fear is that similar "hacks" could be found elsewhere in LMDB too. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Couldn't you also assert!(code < 0)? That way you don't have to mark the function unsafe and just document that it panics for non-negative numbers.

That way you don't get UB but a panic instead. Much more visible.

Actually the code < 0 case is the one that makes problems:

• If code == 0, then Ok(()) is returned.
  • If code > 0, then Err(io::Error::from_raw_os_error(code)) is returned.
  • Only if code < 0, then mdb_strerror is called.

Luckily, if the code is an existent negative error code, mdb_strerror supposedly returns a static C string (even though not guaranteed in the API documentation). The problem is a negative error code which does not exist. Then mdb_strerror falls back to call the thread-unsafe strerror function.

Ah sorry yes😅 Ignore what I said then.

Wait, so how do you know you have a valid error code to pass to the function?

I don't know. That is why I propose to make check_err_code unsafe and demand:

/// # Safety
///
/// * If `code` is negative, it must be a valid LMDB error code.

By marking check_err_code as being unsafe and documenting the requirements, the caller must ensure that code is valid (if negative), e.g. by only passing codes to check_err_code which have been returned by LMDB.

Yeah, sounds like a reasonable solution then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently, this was always ensured already, because the only places where check_err_code was called is when passing an LMDB error code to the function. Moreover, check_err_code is private, so it wasn't possible to call this function with any non-valid error code. Nonetheless, it still should be marked unsafe to avoid future use which might result in UB.

1 Like

Yes yes, I agree. I meant your proposed change earlier with unsafe and the safety documentation sounds reasonable.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.