TWiR quote of the week

Nobody contributed. Rust started writing itself to avoid human bugs.

Asimov needs a 4th law to #![forbid(unsafe_code)] .

– rat9988 and CUViper on Reddit.

5 Likes

– Rust’s ownership is difficult.
– Yes, ownership is difficult. For such a difficult thing, you (are going to) ever check by hand rather than having machine do it for you.

@Cryolite on Twitter (Japanese)

4 Likes

From normally-aspirated::<fish> on the (unofficial) community discord:

Rust is OOP
Ownership Oriented Programming

17 Likes

“all the ergonomic improvements in rust 2018 are really messing up my book that consists entirely of running face-first into compiler errors so i can explain concepts.” – Alexis Beingessner, author of “Learning Rust With Entirely Too Many Linked Lists”

16 Likes

C++ prevents “thing without pointer” and Rust prevents “pointer without thing”

@RibeiroLivio on twitter

7 Likes
3 Likes

I quite liked TomP’s answer:

One major difference is that Ada was created at a time when most military computers were single-core with in-order sequential execution and no cache. Although limited SIMD existed, any other concurrency was very coarse-grained. That’s the underlying execution model for C, Pascal, C++, etc.

Rust was created to address the complexity of multi-core processors with multi-level cache hierarchies where computational efficiency may require much concurrency. In my experience few humans are capable of error-free design and implementation of highly-concurrent systems unless they employ tooling that flags their errors in conceptualization or implementation.

3 Likes

Confusion is a product type.

—/u/casual-cryptarch on explaining traits and references at the same time

1 Like

Yes, Markdown is like Frankenstein’s monster before applying electricity, and Org-mode is the monster after applying electricity.

-/u/jimuazu in this thread about a parser for Emacs’ Org-Mode format

(not really a quote about Rust, but I found it pretty enjoyable nonetheless)

2 Likes

A compile_fail test that fails to fail to compile is also a failure.

The trybuild README.

14 Likes

Yes, this adds to Rust’s “wierdness budget”, but this is doing it for the right reason: discovering a way to solve a problem that many programming languages have, but few have really tackled.

jcsoo on await syntax (on internals)

7 Likes

The big gorilla 3D game framework. Apparently it actually works.

SimonHeath on Amethyst

1 Like

Never play drinking games with the rust compiler. It will destroy you and show you how sorry of a developer you are!

1 Like

Just the presence of well integrated Algebraic Data Types (ADTs) makes an incredible amount of difference. They are used to represent errors in a meaningful and easy to understand way (Result<T>), are used to show that a function may or may not return a meaningful value without needing a garbage value (Option<T>), and the optional case can even be used to wrap a null pointer scenario in a safe way (Option<Ref<T>> being the closest to a literal translation I think).

That’s just one small feature that permeates the language. Whatever the opposite of a death-of-a-thousand-cuts is, Rust has it.

tomcatfish on “… how (Rust) takes basic concepts from low to high level without bothering me or killing performance…”

6 Likes

Rust attracts people who like challenges.

3 Likes

He’s not pointing in the right direction, but the direction itself is calling!

6 Likes

Sure, but isn’t it more likely that the person who wrote the Rustonomicon, whoever they are, is just a huge dingus‽

- /u/kibwen in response to the author of the Rustonomicon

Bonus points for the interrobang.

3 Likes

Note that the HTML syntax is a language almost, but not quite, entirely unlike XML.
html5ever README

8 Likes

More like “boring is good” kind of people :smiley: no surprises whatsoever

“The cost of zero-cost abstractions”. Looks like a title for some sci-fi…

3 Likes