TWiR quote of the week

Nobody contributed. Rust started writing itself to avoid human bugs.

Asimov needs a 4th law to #![forbid(unsafe_code)] .

-- rat9988 and CUViper on Reddit.

7 Likes

-- Rust's ownership is difficult.
-- Yes, ownership is difficult. For such a difficult thing, you (are going to) ever check by hand rather than having machine do it for you.

-- @Cryolite on Twitter (Japanese)

4 Likes

From normally-aspirated::<fish> on the (unofficial) community discord:

Rust is OOP
Ownership Oriented Programming

18 Likes

"all the ergonomic improvements in rust 2018 are really messing up my book that consists entirely of running face-first into compiler errors so i can explain concepts." -- Alexis Beingessner, author of "Learning Rust With Entirely Too Many Linked Lists"

18 Likes

C++ prevents "thing without pointer" and Rust prevents "pointer without thing"

@RibeiroLivio on twitter

10 Likes
3 Likes

I quite liked TomP's answer:

One major difference is that Ada was created at a time when most military computers were single-core with in-order sequential execution and no cache. Although limited SIMD existed, any other concurrency was very coarse-grained. That’s the underlying execution model for C, Pascal, C++, etc.

Rust was created to address the complexity of multi-core processors with multi-level cache hierarchies where computational efficiency may require much concurrency. In my experience few humans are capable of error-free design and implementation of highly-concurrent systems unless they employ tooling that flags their errors in conceptualization or implementation.

4 Likes

Confusion is a product type.

—/u/casual-cryptarch on explaining traits and references at the same time

1 Like

Yes, Markdown is like Frankenstein's monster before applying electricity, and Org-mode is the monster after applying electricity.

-/u/jimuazu in this thread about a parser for Emacs' Org-Mode format

(not really a quote about Rust, but I found it pretty enjoyable nonetheless)

3 Likes

A compile_fail test that fails to fail to compile is also a failure.

The trybuild README.

17 Likes

Yes, this adds to Rust’s “wierdness budget”, but this is doing it for the right reason: discovering a way to solve a problem that many programming languages have, but few have really tackled.

jcsoo on await syntax (on internals)

9 Likes

The big gorilla 3D game framework. Apparently it actually works.

SimonHeath on Amethyst

1 Like

Never play drinking games with the rust compiler. It will destroy you and show you how sorry of a developer you are!

3 Likes

Just the presence of well integrated Algebraic Data Types (ADTs) makes an incredible amount of difference. They are used to represent errors in a meaningful and easy to understand way (Result<T>), are used to show that a function may or may not return a meaningful value without needing a garbage value (Option<T>), and the optional case can even be used to wrap a null pointer scenario in a safe way (Option<Ref<T>> being the closest to a literal translation I think).

That's just one small feature that permeates the language. Whatever the opposite of a death-of-a-thousand-cuts is, Rust has it.

tomcatfish on "... how (Rust) takes basic concepts from low to high level without bothering me or killing performance..."

8 Likes

Rust attracts people who like challenges.

3 Likes

He's not pointing in the right direction, but the direction itself is calling!

11 Likes

Sure, but isn't it more likely that the person who wrote the Rustonomicon, whoever they are, is just a huge dingus‽

- /u/kibwen in response to the author of the Rustonomicon

Bonus points for the interrobang.

7 Likes

Note that the HTML syntax is a language almost, but not quite, entirely unlike XML.
-- html5ever README

13 Likes

More like "boring is good" kind of people :smiley: no surprises whatsoever

"The cost of zero-cost abstractions". Looks like a title for some sci-fi...

4 Likes