TWiR quote of the week

Sources providing the origin of the above White House OSS Mobilization Plan whitepaper:

It has white house backing, but was drafted by OpenSSF.

4 Likes

From...

1 Like

STiAT on Linus Torvalds: Rust For The Kernel Could Possibly Be Merged For Linux 5.20 - Phoronix Forums

Hmh, would like to rewrite my 20 year old C driver for a industry infrared camera and flash I used for monitoring a chicken coop in Rust.

Just to see what it's like if done in Rust. I didn't dally much in kernel code, but this sounds like something which could be done.

Though, the chicken coop monitor and gate opener/closer long got replaced by more modern stuff by now which run on Linux out of the box.

By the way, we thought it was a fox and wondered how got over/past the fence... It actually was a Hawk going after the Chickens in daylight.

I just really want there to be a quote about a chicken coop in TWiR

2 Likes

Looks like this quote got overlooked!

1 Like

… [ergonomics] is a downstream symptom, whereas the inclusivity thing is the upstream driver for all of that. So that's where you get ergonomics, right? If you don't care about inclusivity for beginners and whatever, then you're not going to care about that.

1 Like

Jake Goulding: mem::replace / mem::swap ===

cuviper: except rustc would tell Indy that's a type mismatch

Jake Goulding: Yes, that would be the boulder, I assume.

Jake Goulding: Older compilers were more aggressive in error reporting.

https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/122651-general/topic/Clone.20implementation.20for.20Box

23 Likes

Learning Rust has taught me something - "There are really no problems, just adventure and opportunities"

(generally submitted quotes are quoted from an outside source with attribution, not just said in this thread)

1 Like

I never knew, I'll do better next time

So I can't make this a submission? :worried:

4 Likes

it'd be hypocritical to say no. [--end sidenote]

4 Likes

The long compile times where all responsibility is taken away from you is infinitely more effective than submission patterns in BDSM, where the graceful rustc takes over and all you have to do is wait until they tell you that you're a good person and that everything is alright!

https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/w0oyo5/programming_in_rust_has_to_be_one_of_the_most/igfs4fw/

4 Likes

The language ends up doing a random walk via small steps through the design space without a coherent long term vision, because nothing else is feasible.

gpderetta on HackerNews

I think using the full paragraph might give people a bit more context:

I don't necessarily agree with all their design goals, but it is unfortunately true that getting a large coherent change through the C++ committe is an herculean task. The language ends up doing a random walk via small steps through the design space without a coherent long term vision, because nothing else is feasible.

11 Likes

Monad: Design pattern in which pipeline implementation are abstracted by wrapping a value in a type

By "A bit of code" in the video what is a monad (design pattern).

Note that this quote was not about Rust but since the word "monad" is regularly used a lot in Rust, and it was a very nice and concise explanation, I’m still submitting it.

From @moy2010 in What is the biggest difference between Garbage Collection and Ownership?

5 Likes

Another quote that wasn’t created by Rust folks by which is very relevant when writing fast Rust code.

The key to making programs fast is to make them do practically nothing. :wink:

By Mike Haertel in why GNU grep is fast (2010).

11 Likes

JuSt Be CaReFuL

If there’s one lesson from decades of software engineering, it is the failure of “just be careful” as a strategy. C/C++ programmers still experience memory corruption constantly, no matter how careful they are. Java programmers still frequently see NullPointerExceptions, no matter how careful they are. And so on. One of the reasons that Rust is so successful is that it adds automated checks to prevent many common mistakes.

By the author of the blog Considerations on Codecrafting in Fixing the Next Thousand Deadlocks: Why Buffered Streams Are Broken and How To Make Them Safer.

21 Likes

100,000 issues filled with love, compassion and a wholesome community. Thank you, Rust community, for being one of the most, if not straight out the most, welcoming programming communities out there. Thank you, Rust teams, for the tireless hours you spend every day on every aspect of this project. Thank you to the Rust team alumni for the many hours spent growing a plant and the humility of passing it to people you trust to continue taking care of it. Thank you everyone for RFCs, giving voice to the community, being those voices AND listening to each other.

This community has been and continue to be one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. The language itself has many things to love and appreciate about it, from the humane error messages to giving the people the power to express high performance code without sacrificing readability for the ones to come after us. But nothing, truly nothing, takes the cake as much as the community that's building it, answering questions, helping and loving each other. Every single day.

Congratulations everyone for 100,000 issues and PRs! And thank you for being you. Because Rust is Beautiful, for having you as part of it.

To the times we spent together and the many more to come!

Issue #100000 in the rust-lang/rust repo.

15 Likes

I expressed basically the same sentiment in What is the biggest difference between Garbage Collection and Ownership? - #24 by H2CO3

1 Like