Std::num::Float trait: usage, "clamp" method

How are functions in the Float trait intended to be used? 2.0.ln(), or Float::ln(2.0)?

I would like to be able to do something like

use std::num::max;

then write max(a,b) (like with std::cmp::max). Are there plans to add free functions as wrappers around the methods defined in Float?

Second question: would there be interest in adding a clamp(x, lb, ub) method (essentially just min(max(x, lb), ub))? There are quite a number of times I’ve wanted this for floats.

What should the semantics on clamping NaN be?

NaN. Otherwise you’re silently squelching errors.

There are cases where silent squelching of errors is pretty-much impossible to avoid (if rand_01() < p {...}), but in other cases NaNs should propegate.

Well, clamp sounds like you can guarantee that the value is in the specified interval afterwards, so this seems like a gotcha.

And you might naively think floats are ordered, but they’re not always. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

max doesn’t return NaN unless both arguments are NaN.

How weird. I just checked the IEEE754 standard and it quite clearly states the behaviour you describe for min/max (but also that all other operations receiving one or more NaNs as inputs and emitting a floating-point number should return one of the received NaNs).

Any idea why?

Interestingly, Python gets this wrong:

>>> min(1e1000-1e1000, 5)
nan