Rust debugger's question

Hi I have rust-gdb and lldb installed in my linux OS, but I cannot successfully use them to debug rust program.

Here I list the details of the debug process, the rust-gdb is able to run, but failed to hit the correct break point, and the watched variables also not display;

And the lldb simply not runs, I think I should get a rust-lldb, but I can’t find it from the installed rust package, or on the net, could anybody tell me where I can get that rust-lldb?

rust-gdb:

…Rust/hello/target/debug> cargo build
…Rust/hello/target/debug> rust-gdb hello

Reading symbols from hello…done.
(gdb) l main.rs:main
1 fn main() {
2 let mut ia;
3 for i in 0…10 {
4 ia = i;
5 println!(“Hello{}!”, ia);
6 }
7 }
(gdb) b 3
Breakpoint 1 at 0x5ecb: …/Rust/hello/src/main.rs:3. (2 locations)
(gdb) b 4
Breakpoint 2 at 0x5f97: file …/Rust/hello/src/main.rs, line 4.
(gdb) run
Starting program: …/Rust/hello/target/debug/hello
Missing separate debuginfos, use: zypper install glibc-debuginfo-2.19-22.1.x86_64
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library “/lib64/libthread_db.so.1”.

Breakpoint 1, hello::main ()
at /…/Rust/hello/src/main.rs:3
3 for i in 0…10 {
Missing separate debuginfos, use: zypper install libgcc_s1-debuginfo-5.3.1+r233831-6.1.x86_64
(gdb) c
Continuing.

3 for i in 0…10 {
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 2, hello::main ()
at /…/Rust/hello/src/main.rs:5
(gdb) watch ia
Hardware watchpoint 3: ia
(gdb) c
Continuing.
Hello0!

3 for i in 0…10 {
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 2, hello::main ()
at …/Rust/hello/src/main.rs:5

lldb:

…Rust/hello/target/debug> lldb hello
(lldb) target create "hello"
Current executable set to ‘hello’ (x86_64).
(lldb) l
1 fn main() {
2 let mut ia;
3 for i in 0…10 {
4 ia = i;
6 }
7 }
(lldb) run
// Nothing more display here

What is your question?

Hi vadimcn

Sorry I was in a hurry to post this question before my internet connection was cut off, hence missing a lot of things in describing the question itself.

I have edited this post to add more details about the question.

Thank you for your replies!

I’ve just tried this using both current nightly as well as stable, and it worked as expected. Would be useful to know versions of everything you are using.

rust-lldb is a script that adds nicer formatting for Rust data types, otherwise it’d be the same lldb you have.

Hi vadimcn

I tried both Rust beta and nightly, they behaved the same, I mean, the debugging outcomes.

The gdb version is: (GDB; openSUSE Leap 42.1) 7.11.1
The lldb is: lldb version 3.7.0 ( revision 246586 clang revision 246586 llvm revision 246586)

When I tried to debug in VS Code by using gdb, although the only breakpoint I added was in line 4, but the program paused at line 5, the breakpoint in line 4 was not hit.

When I moved the mouse to any breakpoint while it was debugging, it always feedback the message said “unverified breakpoint”.

And it printed a warning, which I am not sure will be the reason for this problem:

warning: Missing auto-load script at offset 0 in section .debug_gdb_scripts
of file /home/Gene/ST/Studio/VSCode/Rust/hello/target/debug/hello.
Use `info auto-load python-scripts [REGEXP]’ to list them.

Thank you for you help!

I’ve had the same problem several months ago. It’s because your lldb is outdated. All you need is a newer one.
See this: Rust-lldb not printing out local variables

Thank you, Congee.

I have just downloaded and installed the latest lldb and llvm and everything related, but it still kept hanging there when I “run” the rust program under lldb. The command “list” is OK to display the source code, just can’t “run”, let alone the debugging.

I am using the openSUSE leap, I am considering an ubuntu or other OS may work, but not sure, because I can’t debug the rust program in Windows too.

By the way, do you know where I can get the rust-lldb? I think I may try that.

Maybe you should try gdb 7.12.

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GDB-7.12-Released

rust-lldb is just a shell script wrapper, here it is:

The previous problem of lldb is that the older version of lldb just doesn’t list the source code. But now it seems you have a new problem. I suggest you report an issue.

Thank you for all your guys’ replies, very appreciate for you help.

I have changed my OS from openSUSE to Fedora, it seems Fedora does not have this issue.

Not sure whether it’s a gcc version issue or not, since I have changed my OS before reading your replies.