For a long time, since debuggers never worked for me, I've been "print debugging". It requires recompilation every time I want to inspect something, and when the code I want to inspect is in one of the dependencies, I need to clone it, which takes a lot of time. So, it's getting increasingly clear that I need a working debugger.
When I first tried to use
gdb, I hit an issue documented here:
It mentions a workaround where you debug the executable in
deps. I tried and it did not work.
When I tried
lldb, I hit another issue. Similarly enough, it spits out a bunch of errors:
error: <executable> debug map object file '/path/to/my-project/target/debug/deps/<executable>.<randomstring>.rcgu.o' has changed (actual time is yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.000000000, debug map time is 1970-01-01 09:00:00.000000000) since this executable was linked, file will be ignored <same error, for each .rcgu.o file>
This error also occurs in
warning: `/path/to/my-project/target/debug/deps/<executable>.<randomstring>.rcgu.o': file time stamp mismatch.
Admittedly, I've never used native debugger before, so something is likely wrong with my setup. I'll also need to learn how to use the debuggers. But for now, I'm just trying to get them to load.