Originally posted in https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/pre-proposal-math-working-group/13274
I propose to create a math working group to focus on the healthy development of the Rust language numerical calculation system.
First, clarify that although the working group expects to cover scientific computing content (refer to Matlab, Wolfram Mathematica, etc), it still proposes to simply call as math working group.
I wonder why there is no math working group in Rust? Numerical calculations are important to any language, even for rust language that was not born for numerical calculations.
The responsibilities of the working group roughly include the followings:
- Organize and propose the crate-chain of scientific computing;
- Define certain crates as "working group recommended" in the crate-chain to reduce the selection difficulty for novices;
- Identify missing crates in mathematics, such as symbolic calculations, PDE solvers, etc. for now, and mark some missing crates as "urgently needed";
- For some key missing crates, the working group can also create projects and implement them;
- And more things that I didn't expect now;
I hope that this proposal can be supported by the community, and that the working group can be formed by community numerical computing experts. I will also try my best to devote time to support this working group.