Perf on release fails with default optimizations

I'm trying to profile my rust program in release mode with perf, but I keep stumbling upon this error when I run perf report: 0x2c80ec8 [0x8]: failed to process type: 68

I've been searching for a solution but all I've found is suggestions to use --call-graph=dwarf when running perf record, which I'm already doing, and enabling debug symbols on release, which I'm also already doing with the following:

[profile.release]
debug = true

Debug builds profile fine, as do release builds when I set opt-level=1 (which sorta defeats the point). Any ideas?

Edit: I'm using unstable features so I'm on nightly, more specifically rustc 1.35.0-nightly (96d700f1b 2019-04-10)

I'm going to guess you're on a Debian machine or a Debian-derived distro, such as Ubuntu.

Perf is broken on Debian. You can reduce the frequency of this failure by capturing less data and/or adding --no-demangle to the report command line

Or, if you have access to a machine running a different distro, profile your program there. (I can vouch for this not happening on my Arch machine, but it happens reliably on my employer's Debian systems.)

I've definitely seen this happen on my Arch machine, but I cannot reliably reproduce it and it only happens when I use --call-graph=dwarf. If it happens, I can sometimes rerun the command and have it work.

I am actually running Arch myself. I just went and did a full system update just in case I accidentally did a partial update before, but sadly it still fails consistently.
I'm running perf version 5.0.g1c163f4.

Adding --no-demangle lets report finish correctly, and while I'd like to find a better solution I suppose can always figure out how to demangle the symbols myself.

As an alternative, --call-graph=lbr works, and while I'm not sure if my call stacks are too deep for it I can always check them in debug mode profiles to be sure.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.