New to Rust Programming Language

Hi,

I am new to Rust Programming Language. Please guide me to learn and write rust programs from beginners point of view. Are there any books to refer to?

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

2 Likes

https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/

10 Likes
2 Likes

Hang out here for a while. You will see some great questions and great answers. And use the "search" feature in this forum. Looks like a magnifying glass.

Also if you have rust on your system

rustup doc --book;
rustup doc  --std;
rustup doc --rust-by-example

Inside those web books, I suggest also using the search feature. Very helpful.

4 Likes

I have asked this question few days ago. If you are a complete beginner to programming environment , kick off with Beginning Rust by Carlo Minalesi and then look into official learning resource of Rust which is on website The Rust Book
Beginning Rust is in my repo@github Beginning Rust - Carlo Minalesi

Review my post for some info regarding this

1 Like

Thanks a lot to all of you. It means a lot to me and I mean it. I will remain obliged to this forum. :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Hi,

Please suggest me regarding which editor I should use for learning Rust Programming Language. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

Visual Studio Code will work fine.
Download extensions like rust-analyzer from marketplace for Rust Support in it.

I learned Rust with the Rust book linked above. But "Rust by Examples" felt going too fast. I just started re-writing my Python projects into Rust. First of all I took the one that required some algorithm, rather than just pandas DataFrames manipulations.

I use SublimeText with Rust Enhanced extension. It lacks debugging though.

Yeah, by its very nature, "Rust by Example" tends to be quite code heavy and light on prose. That's probably why the pacing doesn't feel right.

I see it as more of a reference/cookbook where you know a certain thing is possible and just want to see an example snippet you can copy.

The Diataxis framework would refer to it as a "how-to guide", whereas the book and Beginning Rust would be called a "tutorial".

1 Like

I have been getting along very nicely with VSCode and the rust-analyser plugin.

1 Like

I'm also new here.

Hi,

Do I also need to know Math to learn Rust Programming Language? Please guide. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

One thing I really like about Rust-by-Example is that if you manually type every example, it feels very "video-game like" in that you run into this loop of:

type some examples
get compiler errors
fix compiler errors
try other random stuff

go to next example

For certain personality types, these types of 'addiction loop' works better than passively reading chapter by chapter.

No more so than any other programming language. The amount of maths you need to know is more determined by the problem you want to solve than the language you use to solve it.

2 Likes

well , it depends on what you want to achieve by coding

A post was split to a new topic: Pointer arithmetic like in C?