Where to begin in Rust?

Good Day All,

I am new to RUST and want to learn, any ideas where I should begin first? There is just so much out there and so I thought I would ask the community on where I should go first to get the basics and then work my way up. I appreciate any help that you may provide me through my journey of RUST.

Cheers,
John

From Learn Rust - Rust Programming Language you can choose 1 or more of:

• The Rust Programming Language

Affectionately nicknamed “the book,” The Rust Programming Language will give you an overview of the language from first principles. You’ll build a few projects along the way, and by the end, you’ll have a solid grasp of the language.

• Rust by example

If reading multiple hundreds of pages about a language isn’t your style, then Rust By Example has you covered. While the book talks about code with a lot of words, RBE shows off a bunch of code, and keeps the talking to a minimum. It also includes exercises!

• The Rustlings course

Alternatively, Rustlings guides you through downloading and setting up the Rust toolchain, and teaches you the basics of reading and writing Rust syntax, on the command line. It's an alternative to Rust by Example that works with your own environment.

Do you have prior programming experience in another language?

1 Like

And the following site can you find good examples: https://www.codewars.com/
You have to solve a "KATA" and after the commit, you can see the solution of the other peoples.

I have some experience in html & CSS, I am looking to grow what I know as I am back in college. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Does that experience include javascript? If not, you might struggle with using Rust as your first "computational" programming language, as opposed to markup programming languages like HTML and CSS.
Python is a great language to learn for your first computational programming language. It's very simple and beginner friendly. It's probably the best place to start.

If you still want to learn Rust first, I'd recommend the book. It's more in-depth than the others so it would help to fill in some gaps.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.