Googlebook is out, how soon do we expect rustc on it?

What IDE do you recommend for it as well? Sure, target primary Rust development.

haven't paid much attention to it, what os does it run? is it linux based, say chrome os based or some desktop linux distro? or is it some new kernel developed by google?

if it's linux based, I would expect rustc to be supported very soon, as long as it has a "good" libc.

Android has a Terminal/shell now that can run Linux, so you could run rustc on that I think

oh, just looked it up, it's android? but adapted for laptops? essentially a special desktop environment for linux? that's... interesting... I guess.

anyways, I suppose they would ship Google's Antigravity IDE with the system, so rust development is probably already supported.

Anyway we can already develop rust on Android (using termux), linux, freebsd and any system that you can expect, so I think it wouldn't be a big issue anyway....
Though I suspect Emacs might not support it, and this shall be the biggest issue...

Ah it seems that googlebook is not for devs anyway as I see it more closely...

for android I've had some successes with working directly in termux. Though Termux-GUI was too buggy for my attempts to write a mobile-first IDE in it.

Someone else wrote a native-Android Rust IDE for android though: Rustroid - A Rust IDE that runs locally on your Android phone it works really well if you solely code on android. A little harder to use if you share the same code base for on-android-development and on-desktop-development. Also sadly no VCS integration yet, so you need to manually run git on the command line

I don't know, I suppose it is intended for "productivity" workloads, instead of, say, "content consumption", right? otherwise what's the point of making it in laptop form factor? they already have android tablets for that.

also, if it is marketed as "AI" laptop, surely software developers are one of the targeted users, no? after all, coding agents are currently the main real world use cases of LLMs.

I read that the devices are bootlocked, which sucks, but I really hope at least they will allow native linux programs to run, instead of only allowing signed "apps" from their play store.

if that's the case, I think this product might become the actual windows killer, given how microsoft keeps screwing up windows.

I see google seems to be defining it this way, but... It runs on Android and do seem cannot run linux container... Even worse then chromebook in that sense...

Maybe just system76 + fedora/Qubes OS would be great, but sure it is less delicate...

It seems google is targeting the non-existing users, not programmers... Although I would say google is always doing this kind of things, like in pixel...

Ah, yes, termux-gui experience is really buggy... But I suspect a more direct way to code on android is to use emacs---personally I love emacs and it has great terminal support, including on termux. (although the ctrl problem on android termux is annoying)

But anyway not everyone loves emacs...

It sounds interesting. Generally I have a web server for Android, however it's Java based. But my IDE requires Rust, so certainly this IDE may work for me. Regarding git, it should be some Android ports.

Seems like it may work, for me at least, since I only need terminal access.

Googlebook also features a first for the laptop category: a Level 5 security-certified hypervisor powered by pKVM isolation. This hypervisor powers an isolated Linux environment with full terminal access, so you can safely run any Linux developer tools, pull code repositories, access networks and ports, or execute autonomous agents.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1wmc8lk/googlebook_combines_the_best_of_android_and/

Yes, termux can run git very smoothly, most linux cli tools run, too.