Crate-type = ["cdylib", "dylib"] confuses Cargo nowadays

I have a project that has crate-type = ["cdylib", "dylib", "rlib"] under the [lib] section in its Cargo.toml manifest i.e. something like this:

Cargo.toml:

[lib]
name = "foo"
crate-type = ["cdylib", "dylib", "rlib"]

Since Rust 1.31 or 1.32, this has resulted in a warning, essentially saying that these options result in artifacts being built with the same name, and thus the combination is invalid.

As far as I can see, it is invalid to define multiple [lib] sections in the Cargo.toml file, so that idea is off the table.

I agree that artifact production clashes are undesirable.
What I’m less clear on is why the warning-and-error-to-be is produced in the first place, rather than Cargo taking care to produce 2 dynamic library files that explicitly don’t clash with one another?

And if I want both a cdylib and a dylib in the same crate, what can I do to resolve this issue right now, aside from using ugly hacks like creating wrapper crates?

What’s not clear to me is what conflict there is in the first place. Don’t dylibs have a hash in their name, while cdylibs don’t?

This is the conflict:

$ cargo run
warning: output filename collision.
The lib target `foo` in package `foo v0.9.0 (/home/j/dev/foo/)` has the same output filename as the lib target `foo` in package `foo v0.9.0 (/home/j/dev/foo/)`.
Colliding filename is: /home/j/dev/foo/target/debug/deps/libfoo.so
The targets should have unique names.
Consider changing their names to be unique or compiling them separately.
This may become a hard error in the future, see https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/6313
warning: output filename collision.
The lib target `foo` in package `foo v0.9.0 (/home/j/dev/foo/)` has the same output filename as the lib target `foo` in package `foo v0.9.0 (/home/j/dev/foo/)`.
Colliding filename is: /home/j/dev/foo/target/debug/libfoo.so
The targets should have unique names.
Consider changing their names to be unique or compiling them separately.
This may become a hard error in the future, see https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/6313

So there’s actually a GitHub issue for it.

As for the answer to your question, it appears that both dylibs and cdylibs have no hashes in the filename of the produced .so file.