Crate of the Week

Crate of the week suggestion: https://crates.io/crates/cargo-lichking . Attempts to summarize licenses of crates you depend on.

3 Likes

cgroups: "Native Rust library for managing control groups under Linux".

I'm nominating this because it unlocks the ability to start writing lightweight Docker-like libraries in Rust for Linux!

5 Likes

failsafe (reddit thread) - Wrap function in a supervisor that prohibits execution (returns error early) for some time in case of consequtive failures of the wrapped function.

2 Likes

I was just told about cargo-src.

4 Likes

mdproof: "A standalone markdown to PDF converter"

2 Likes

mtpng: "A parallelized PNG encoder in Rust "

3 Likes

smallbox: Small Box optimization: store small item on the stack and fallback to heap for large item. Faster memory allocation than Box.

1 Like

The packed_simd crate has been working towards bringing an implementation of portable SIMD, fit for inclusion in the standard library.

2 Likes

Evcxr: A Rust REPL and Rust Jupyter Kernel.

7 Likes

I'm sure this has been nominated before, but just in case, I would like to nominate crossbeam for its large suite of high quality concurrency primitives.

2 Likes

Seems the last mention was back in November 2016, and crossbeam-channel in December 2017...

(Fun fact: Discourse warns us of such things when we try to include a previously posted URL)

This is a long time, but my personal feeling is still that a crate should have recently done something noteworthy (milestone release, big new feature, etc.) to have a second chance at the spotlight.
Crossbeam feels so foundational, and so stable, these days (a massive compliment! :heart:) that I wonder if it qualifies as needing "more attention" :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I'd like to nominate pest, the elegant parser for CotW.

pest is a general purpose parser written in Rust with a focus on accessibility , correctness , and performance . It uses parsing expression grammars (or PEG) as input, which are similar in spirit to regular expressions, but which offer the enhanced expressivity needed to parse complex languages.

(Disclaimer: I contributed greatly towards the end of the 2.0 development cycle.)

We recently released 2.0 and the website is a cool showcase of what Rust-on-wasm does today; you can actually Try It Online!

8 Likes

add-one: Just for fun

returns n + 1 with n ∈ R

Ruukh - An experimental next-gen frontend framework for the Web in Rust.

5 Likes

Cntr, a way to add in tools to a container after its built to debug it:

1 Like

Noria announced on Reddit this week:

4 Likes

loc - a tool that counts lines of code faster than cloc: GitHub - cgag/loc: Count lines of code quickly.

2 Likes

A rusty disk usage tool: cargo install dutree
https://github.com/nachoparker/dutree

2 Likes

Parse Wiki Text – Parse wiki text from Mediawiki into a tree of elements

Github | crates.io | discussion

4 Likes

A CLI tool that displays information about your project directly on your terminal.

https://github.com/o2sh/onefetch