Watch out for NaNs

The downside I can think of: sqrt(-1) = 0 simply is wrong (and not just a bit wrong, such as when rounding or returning infinity instead of a very huge number).

Of course, rounding errors can sum up. But when you set sqrt(-1) = 0, then a single calculation gives a wrong result (that is not just off by rounding).

Note that IEEE 754 has deterministic rounding rules. And setting sqrt(-1) = 0 can't be called "rounding" anymore.

That said, I think one can argue that NaN's are a bad idea. I see that there are pros and cons for them. I like them, but I do understand if other people don't. Maybe we wouldn't have ended up with PartialOrd (see also Traits in std::cmp and mathematical terminology) if NaNs weren't existent. I think it's legitimate to defend the hypothesis that they cause more harm than being useful, even if I feel different (for now).

As I said, in my case there is no infinity involved either: "Note that both are finite."

P.S.: But maybe you meant that infinity can be returned in some cases (when numbers are a bit off).