Understanding trait concisely

Please let me know if this question is duplicated in somewhere else here.

I started learning Rust for a while, and understood what is struct and impl, similar to class and its methods in OOP languages.

Yet, I also often heard about trait, which I do not know, searched online but all I get is the topics assuming people who already knew what trait is, or are written for native English speakers (I'm not).

I think the most I get is from Rust By Example, which my own understanding is:

trait is used to define the methods that can be used for any struct, as an additional methods.

Correct me if I misunderstood the true meaning of using trait, and perhaps explain like I'm five :grin:. I'm very concern of understanding the common things well in Rust. Thank you.

The closest matching description of a trait from OOP world could be interface but which allows implementation and overriding of some (or all) methods within the trait.

trait HasVoice {
    fn speak(&self) {} // No implementation
    fn shout(&self) {
        println!("Base shout!");
    }
}

struct Foo {}
impl HasVoice for Foo {
    // Can reuse shout from the default implementation inside HasVoice
    // Or provide it's own too.

fn speak(&self) {
        // Need to implement this as the trait does not provide default
        // implementation
        println!("Foo speak!");
    }
}

struct Bar {}
impl HasVoice for Bar {
    // In Bar, we override the default shout() implementation
    fn shout(&self) {
        println!("Custom bar shout!");
    }
    fn speak(&self) {
        println!("Bar speak!");
    }
}

pub fn main() {
    let foo = Foo {};
    foo.speak(); // Foo speak!
    foo.shout(); // Base shout!

let bar = Bar {};
    bar.speak(); // Bar speak!
    bar.shout(); // Custom bar shout!
}

Traits can also be used as constraints upon generics. For example:

fn bar<T: HasVoice>(speaker: T) {
}

The compiler will error if the bar() is called with some T which does not impl HasVoice as we have constrained T in the definition (notice: <T: HasVoice>).

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I am more confident on what I understand about trait.

I believe eventually I'll fully understand it and use it in practical ways along the journey.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.