TWiR quote of the week

NVIDIA's firmware, Airlie said, comes with a set of include files that, in turn, define structures that change over time. To deal with these changes, the driver is going to need some sort of automated ABI generation; he noted that the developers working on the Apple M1 GPU driver have run into the same problem. This problem could be made easier to tackle, he suggested, if the driver were, like the M1 driver, to be rewritten in Rust.

A little late, compared to the October post date, but I thought people might appreciate this:

Fighting with someone else's stupid is often easier than creating a new custom stupid to fight with all while maintaining the new stupid.

-- jwarnica on the question of why the Linux kernel doesn't create a moc-style preprocessor or get a new dialect merged into GCC to fix the stuff they keep coming up with new library-level workarounds for @ Better string handling for the kernel [LWN.net]

(Thanks to smoogen for ensuring I had "quote of the week" on the mind.)

The Tianyi-33 Satellite Equipped with RROS Successfully Entered Orbit. | RROS

The Tianyi-33 satellite is a 50kg class space science experimental satellite equipped with an operating system independently developed by Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications—the Rust-based dual-kernel real-time operating system RROS. RROS will carry out general tasks represented by tensorflow/k8s and real-time tasks represented by real-time file systems and real-time network transmission on the satellite. It will ensure the normal execution of upper-layer applications and scientific research tasks, such as time-delay measurement between satellite and ground, live video broadcasting, onboard web chat services, pseudo-SSH experiments, etc. This marks the world’s first official application of a Rust-written dual-kernel operating system in a satellite scenario.

3 Likes

Atwood's Law says "Any application that can be written in JavaScript, will eventually be written in JavaScript".
Today I introduce you to Ferris' law: "Any application that can be rewritten in Rust, will eventually be rewritten in Rust".
source: https://twitter.com/MarcoIeni/status/1736159818778288306
This is a "self proposal", hopefully you find the joke funny. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Rust can be rather more verbose than C; there are a lot of invariants that have to be expressed in the code. But that is countered by the need for far less error-handling code; it turns out to be a wash, with the size of the two implementations being about the same.

By Alice Ryhl
Reference: A Rust implementation of Android's Binder [LWN.net]

7 Likes

"Functions nearly 1,000 lines long are generally a bad sign."
+
"Ryhl has thus duly rewritten Binder in Rust."

=> Rust in the hands of Ryhl is productive!

2 Likes

In rust, the simple things are possible and complex things are easy

Allegedly from No Boilerplate, via PartisanIsaac2021 on r/rust.

8 Likes

Indeed.

Yes, I did ask ChatGPT to write me a python script to download all transcripts from a given YouTube channel into a file, in order to find this source with a full-text search.

13 Likes

Wow, that's dedication! Thanks for cross-checking. I've updated my post.

1 Like

I find this sentiment well-stated and apropos, suitable for quotation in whole or in part:

10 Likes

Some people don't believe in life after death... Rust doesn't believe in magic after compilation.

18 Likes

I nominate this for quote of the week

4 Likes

A conversation on Mastodon between @kroltan and me about Bevy Game Engine:

Me:

If I should describe #Bevy #BevyEngine in one word, it is this:

Lego

Answer by @kroltan (which is the quote I'm nominating):

• Modular
  • Very high quality construction compared to its competitors
  • If you leave it lying around forget about it, stepping into a project is painful?
13 Likes

I nominate @barnabyw:matrix.org in #probe-rs:matrix.org:

woah, rustc does a better job of explaining merge markers than git does :eyes:

Source (sorry, seems to require matrix login to view)

11 Likes

To see an example in the playground

7 Likes

Given that the most recent QOTW was one of mine (and it was much punchier), I'm dropping this here more because I wanted to share something that I had a "Did I just write that? :)" moment over than because I expect it to get picked:

If your metric of safety is a context like a self-driving vehicle, where crashes of ANY kind are a problem, you can't claim that an exception-based language like the C# vehicle in the DARPA challenge is "safer than" Rust when arguing to keep C++. Those crashes aren't "about" memory safety. They're about implicit control flow paths that slipped through compilation to be caught at runtime.

-- ssokolow on YouTube in the context of commenting on something ThePrimeagen was reading

(Specifically, the "Think about Rust as being better on implicit control flow, not merely on the subset of it concerned with memory safety" sentiment.)

8 Likes

Thats the main reason I stuck with Rust.

1 Like

The functional ML roots of the language, Graydon's first Rust compiler was written in OCaml, shine through, influencing it right from the start.

It's not "C++ but better".

It's Haskell standing on Lisp's shoulders, hiding in C's coat to sneak into PRDCTN. (The fancy nightclub where all the popular language's hang out)

const fn: Pure Functions in Rust - No Boilerplate

4 Likes

If C is like playing with knives and C++ is juggling chainsaws, Rust is like parkour suspended from strings and wearing protective gear. It'll look ridiculous at times, but you'll be able to do all sorts of cool moves that would otherwise be damn scary or outright impossible. You'll have so much fun you'll start trying to do it in other languages, too. And many of us never look back

By loggiq, quoting himself on reddit

12 Likes

rust (as I've heard others say) "makes the easy stuff harder in order to make the harder stuff easier"

By anothersteavest on reddit.

7 Likes