TWiR quote of the week

You will be missed. Sadly, given that Reddit wants to axe all independent mobile clients, it's likely you won't be the only person who won't be seen anymore. I got most of my Rust blogs & community updates from Reddit. I wonder what are the other places where the community could continue? Just don't say Discord, it has fundamentally the same issues as Reddit, and may very well pull the same BS on us.

2 Likes

I'm still subscribed to this thread and TWIR, so I'll still be around... it's just less likely that I'll notice a quote before someone else offers it up.

Outside of /r/rust, I mainly got my exposure to Rust stuff from TWIR and here, so I'll second that question.

Never. I use Discord with a perpetual Sword of Damocles over my head because I choose to have no mobile phone plan and they explicitly say they'll make no exceptions to their "If we think your IP block is suspicious, we may lock your account until you give us an SMS number" policy.

[...]
Rust developers usually are not just looking for "less buggy".

They are addicted to the clicky sound of legos. - by @Amirography in this Mastodon thread.

10 Likes

rust programmers when they see each other again:
Long time no C

- @ciscoffeine@mond-basis.eu

17 Likes

Today I learned that in Rust there are 2 types of pointers: thin v.s. fat pointers. Fat pointers are pointers that contains dynamic metadata (e.g. data length, vtable etc.)

This is genius and absolutely wonderful.

The more you use Rust, the better it gets.

@topjohnwu (Magisk Android rooting tool developer)

4 Likes

@khimru, Opinion: Rust code typically works once compiled, why? - #7 by khimru

1 Like

There's a bug in that off-by-one joke. We're using zero-based counting. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When a test fails, its great that the output is captured and reported back from println, dbg, and panic messages (like from assert).

How does it work though? I'm sorry you asked.

- Iterating on Testing in Rust

3 Likes

It's a compiler not a Jedi, don't expect it to read minds.
- Nishant

10 Likes

Glad(?) to see rustc is still in the Fun phase of compiler development, where you almost never uncover compiler bugs in normal code but can still find them by doing things that are only moderately insane.

icefox on lobste.rs

5 Likes

Dean Roddey is sharing some awesome Tolkien-based architecture wisdom on Reddit!

Good design at scale is probably always hard, going far beyond language features.
But, if [Rust] works hard to prevent you from planting bad trees, you are probably more likely to end up with Lothlorien than Mirkwood.
And of course if have to worry less about evil trees, you can spend more time managing your forest.

u/Dean_Roddey in "Why I Love Rust: It's Not What You Think" (r/rust)

6 Likes

I'm not here to tell you that Rust is the best language....... you should have figured that out by now.

From the satire video "Interview with Senior Rust Developer in 2023".

15 Likes

I use zero-based indexing, but I count properly with "one" meaning I have one item, not that I have two :wink:

1 Like

It's all ducks and sunshine until something starts barking.

u/ZZaaaccc on Reddit

3 Likes

I'll also add that complexity in programming is just like energy in physics: it cannot be created, nor destroyed, but only transformed. So, if a programming language is simple and can only express very simple concepts, the complexity is going to move from the language constructs to your source code and vice versa. One needs to find a balance here, it's a personal choice based on mindset and experience.

From /u/inamestuff in this comment on Reddit

11 Likes

I don't fully agree. Inherent complexity can't be destroyed, but needless incidental complexity can definitely be created if you use the wrong abstractions.

9 Likes

I like darkness

Jon Gjengset in Q&A July 2023

Probably not "about or in relation to Rust" :speak_no_evil: but :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Another goldie from that same video:

I let my threads panic, for fun

2 Likes

Regarding the creation of a self-referential type library:

I'm excited to see what soundness holes I created

By @radekvit on this fine forum.

8 Likes

A rustacean is a programmer that dislikes being told "yes" in situations where they'll regret it later.

by @obi1kenobi on Mastodon

18 Likes