TWiR quote of the week

In russian if one not sure they would say "да нет наверное" which literally translates "yes no maybe"

1 Like

I both strongly agree and strongly disagree. :slight_smile:

@Ixrec demonstrates traditional Rust trade-off bending skills.

3 Likes

Telling a programmer there's already a library to do X is like telling a songwriter there's already a song about love.

-- PeteCordell #NoDealNoWay (@petecordell) January 29, 2014

Suggested by matthieum on reddit.

19 Likes

The entire OP of https://old.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/dxh6pg/why_is_trpl_sold_in_the_gift_shop_at_the_spy/

My friend found several copies of The Rust Programming Language in the gift shop of the International Spy Museum in Washington, DC. According to him, there were no other programming-related books, only the Rust book.

Why?

I must know how this happened. Please help me solve this important mystery.

-- /u/late-rule

6 Likes

I love this reply there:

"Well a Museum purpose is also memory safety, I guess."

21 Likes

In case anyone just wants to know why the gift shop has TRPL, one redditor wrote them an email and got a response:

4 Likes

I said it before, and I'll say it again: If one views Rust as a critique on C++, one should view it as a constructive critique.

6 Likes

I was starting to think that this would ! happen :smile:

7 Likes

That's clever because it can be read both as "never" and as "not".

3 Likes

Just like you, that gave me a weird feeling at first, just as if I was able to swim unharmed among crocodiles.

u/Boiethios in

3 Likes

C++ has no memory safety. "More memory safety" is like multiplying by zero -- it's still zero.

u/sivadeilra in

2 Likes

In that case, here's one from 2008 that I just ran across a few hours ago, which should feel both funny and fitting to anyone who's tried researching how to do signal handling properly in Rust:

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams mentions an extremely dull planet, inhabited by a bunch of depressed humans and a certain breed of animals with sharp teeth which communicate with the humans by biting them very hard in the thighs. This is strikingly similar to UNIX
-- Linus Åkesson on POSIX signals @ http://www.linusakesson.net/programming/tty/

4 Likes

I simply can't miss this:

8 Likes

Heard recently creative coding experience which rust gives. What about unconscious coding experience - do whatever you can to make your code compile as late as you can, then go sleep and find your code correct and working in the morning

Woah, I know people say the Rust compiler is slow but I never had a Rust program that took all night to compile :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually the point is it finally compiles, you got there but don't get why as it's too late, but in the morning you find it is all correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know. Just kidding.

2 Likes

...then go sleep and find your code correct and working in the morning

Woah, I know people say the Rust compiler is slow but I never had a Rust program that took all night to compile

i nominate the above exchange between @dunnock and @ZiCog.

5 Likes

About how mod are handled in rust macro : https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/crate-dependency-discovery/11418/4

2 Likes

...with the proviso that the first quote should be extended to make it clear that the second one is a tongue-in-cheek intentional misinterpretation of something that's originally talking about coding while not in full command of your faculties.

4 Likes