TWiR quote of the week

I'll know ide support is mature when the flame wars start.

- My friend

12 Likes

impl Drop for Mic {}

from Rust Raps

Honestly, the whole thing deserves to be the quote of the week, but it's a bit long for a quote...

15 Likes

People aren't kidding when they say Rust gives you superpowers. We spend more money on log storage than all of our servers combined. We can process so many requests [that] we have to spend more to store the logs from those requests than it costs us to actually process them.

State of the crates.io — Sean Griffin

Time: 24:29

6 Likes

Using [traits] for Inheritance was like putting car wheels on a boat because I am used to driving a vehicle with wheels.

How to become a Rust Super-developer

16 Likes

In theory it would be entirely reasonable to guess that most Rust projects would need to use a significant amount of unsafe code to escape the limitations of the borrow checker. However, in practice it turns out (shockingly!) that the overwhelming majority of programs can be implemented perfectly well using only safe Rust.

u/PM_ME_UR_MONADS on reddit.

7 Likes

"The name Rust suggests what it is: a thin layer on top of the metal." - /u/c3534l

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/abm6hy/why_rust_is_successful_compared_with/ed1k1xl/?context=3

24 Likes

Quite complex description of the "find-this-method" task:

3 Likes

Found this in the old question on SO, looks like a rather laconic explanation:

Lifetimes are needed to prevent errors, but explicit lifetimes are needed to protect what little sanity programmers have.

2 Likes

When a turbo fish is very long, does it become a turbo eel?
-- @Enet4

https://chat.stackoverflow.com/transcript/message/45076604#45076604

8 Likes

“Rust. Life is to short not to use Rust.”

https://github.com/dpc/breeze/blob/master/README.md

2 Likes

From #rust-offtopic

<CognitiveRadiation> ZANKOKU NA TENSHI NO YOU NI / BORROW-CHECKER YO, SHINWA NI NARE
<CognitiveRadiation> da kedo itsuka kizuku deshou? sono senaka ni wa / haruka mirai mezasu tame no non-lexical-lifetime ga aru koto!

2 Likes

Translation please? It seems to be an anime reference?

Translation please? It seems to be an anime reference?

It’s a few lines excerpt from a song that was used as an opening for Evangelion. You can find the full lyrics and their translations on the internet. It is something that’s somewhat commonly parodied.

1 Like

Like a cruel angel
Borrow-Checker, become the legend.

However someday you'll probably realize? that what's on your back
is the Non-Lexical-Lifetime that is there for take you towards the far future.

( These are not my native languages but... I wasn't able to resist the temptation )

6 Likes

I don't have them handy to check, but I seem to remember the official subtitles saying "a legend" rather than "the legend", which would make sense given that Japanese doesn't use articles the way we do and the turn of phrase is generally "become a legend", not "become the legend".

("a cat", "the cat", and "cats" are all "neko". It's disambiguated by the rest of the sentence as needed.)

For what it's worth, it also lines up with a nice fandub I ran across which fits English to the melody by translating it as "Like an angel who has forsaken sympathy, Rise up young boy and make yourself a legend." ("Borrow-checker" replaced "Shōnen", which basically means "boy".)

3 Likes

LeetCode is now supporting Rust!

from Rust stability in 2019 - #49 by DrizztVD1

8 Likes

Two quotes at once:

17 Likes

@DanielKeep on length of strings

6 Likes

Debugging is a scary thing:

(text is a little changed grammatically, but the formulation is preserved)