TWiR quote of the week

<ketralnis> Rust is also really phobic of heap allocations […]
<Xion> Yes, Rust encourages everyone to be a full stack developer :)
24 Likes

@mbrubeck if the conversation happened on an IRC channel, can you please provide a https://botbot.me/ permalink?

Sorry, I think it was in the non-logged #rust-beginners channel.

I can confirm that the conversation did happen in #rust-beginners around 2016-06-28 00:23 UTC (I keep private logs).

On /r/programming :

fzammetti:
Am I the only one that finds highly ironic the naming of something that's supposed to be new and cutting-edge after a substance universally synonymous with old, dilapidated and broken down?

paperelectron:
Rust is as close to the bare metal as you can get.

18 Likes

erickt at Decouple serde_macros from most unstable libsyntax changes by erickt · Pull Request #406 · serde-rs/serde · GitHub

For a sufficiently large project, the odds of compiling syntex may eventually converge to 100%

9 Likes

<kmc> you have a problem. you decide to use Rust. now you have a Rc<RefCell<Box<Problem>>>

on #rust

12 Likes

Writing secure code is not a meme, and you are not djb so no, you cannot do that in C.

-- anonymous

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, what specifically did MIR need from the LLVM 3.9 release?

-- burntsushi

This bug was filed against MIR: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/34119 , which revealed an LLVM bug in the SimplifyCFG pass which was fixed in this commit: [SimplifyCFG] Use a more elegant solution than r261731 · llvm-mirror/llvm@47bc554 · GitHub
. Upgrading our version of LLVM to contain that commit also required
updating basically every supporting dependency and led to interesting
ramifications for various platforms such as mk: Don't pass -msoft-float on mips-gnu by alexcrichton · Pull Request #34841 · rust-lang/rust · GitHub , and also invalidated our patches to compiler-rt which ultimately ended with us saying "fuck it": mk: Stop using cmake for compiler-rt by alexcrichton · Pull Request #34873 · rust-lang/rust · GitHub and planning long-term to rewrite compiler-rt in Rust https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/34400
. Then cue various shenanigans where rustllvm accidentally assumed that
a C++ enum had the ABI of a C enum which led to endless mysterious
segfaults (see its cousin at rustc/LLVM DiagnosticKind mismatch causes crash when bootstrapping unoptimized w/ MIR. · Issue #35131 · rust-lang/rust · GitHub ), and by the time that was resolved LLVM 3.9 was imminent so we figured hey might as well use that.

TL;DR: Integrating nine lines of code from February was such a hassle that we just accidentally coincided with LLVM 3.9.

-- kibwen

On reddit

6 Likes

matthieum: … and I wonder: could the Box be removed if we were able to return traits directly? (for the curious, it's this Future)
seanmonstar: Or, cough impl Future :slight_smile:

On Reddit

<c74d> I've gotten the impression that Rust avoids the term "class" altogether lest anyone think more OO-ly
<scott> unfortunately Rust still has a fairly oppressive cast system

19 Likes

The if let construction is a neat thing Rust borrowed from Swift
(perhaps "copied" would be more accurate, or "cloned" depending on your
views on whether ideas have owners).

-- Frank McSherry, by way of /u/vks_ on Reddit.

17 Likes

@Havvy it would be great if you could also add a permalink to your quote. It makes it easy to attribute.

It happened in #rust-offtopic - I'm not sure if we have a way to permalink to that?

Ah, I don't see botbot.me keeping log of #rust-offtopic either. BotBot.me + Startup Resources | Startup Resources

1 Like

I have logs for that channel. Tell me when it happened and I can confirm it :slight_smile:

Like, right before I posted it.

I've confirmed that the conversation happened around 2016-08-05 07:08 UTC. (...Should I make this a service somehow?)

logic on /r/rust :

The best way to learn Rust is to just try! and see what works (or is this to just see what works? now?)!

2 Likes

From /r/rust:

If at first you don't succeed, try!(try!(try!(try!(try!( again?

2 Likes