TWiR quote of the week

<jaapz> Should I try to get into C before learning some more Rust?
<jaapz> Wouldn't i "get" rust better when I know which problems it tries to solve from a C perspective?
<kimundi> Would you start learning skateboarding without protective gear to know how painful it is when you fall?

source: BotBot.me + Startup Resources | Startup Resources

14 Likes

From Reddit - Dive into anything by sigma914:

Rust has ruined C++ for me, Haskell has ruined Java/C# etc, and Lisp has ruined python/perl/ruby... I end up sitting there going "The compiler should be telling me this is safe!" or "God damnit I need a macro!" all day...

17 Likes

Thanks for the quotes again clever people!

From Manisheart on reddit :

3 Likes

<bluss> I've tried using unchecked indexing in non-trivial code now a couple of times. It never makes a big difference <bluss> Profiling shows like 1-2% improvement if that <bluss> so it's the tightest loops you should worry about, not much more

From #rust

Because I want to grab that qotw pulpit to spread my dogma.

2 Likes

I don't know if that belongs here though.

1 Like

Any sufficiently advanced macro is indistinguishable from magic.

barosl at reddit.

10 Likes

<blue_deref> well, the thing is, you either understand it, or it /doesn't/ work
<blue_deref> so, yes, it always works the way you think it does
<blue_deref> The borrow checker will learn you much

#rust

_rough23 on /r/rust:

I need a personal Gankro to cheer me up while I wait for rustc to compile. :frowning:

Don't we all need our personal Gankro every now and then?

5 Likes

Sorry, but the Rust standard library doesn't provide crystal balls.

-- birkenfeld on rust-lang users

4 Likes
15:56 < tswett> Man. If I ever use Rust in an environment where a heap *is* 
                available, it's going to feel so luxurious.
3 Likes

I feel like some of these are not necessarily positive... i mean steves quote is about how much Rust sucks without the std-lib, and @llogiq's is about how the community cant read minds, and the one before that is about how dreadful Rustc is to compile.... not terrible quotes, but probably not what we want to put out in the public....?

Yes it is fun to jab about some of the pain points of Rust, but maybe not as the 'quote of the week'

1 Like

I personally think it's refreshing to be part of a community that isn't afraid to highlight areas that can be improved. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Just you wait until the mind_reading RFC is implemented...

2 Likes

Im fine with people commenting on what is bad about Rust, but is something slanderous of people or the language what we want as the weekly quote?

<Quxxy> Rust code takes so long to write that adding bugs would be too much effort, not to mention how slow the compiler is.  It's easier to just write it correctly the first time.
10 Likes

The language? Heck yes. The people? Heck no!

4 Likes

unsafe is as viral and pernicious as pop music, though obviously not as dangerous.

DanielKeep in another topic

4 Likes

Talking to wycats about extending std::time:

<wycats> I just feel like in this case
<wycats> people think "just do a reasonable thing"
<wycats> but the results are basically violations of physics
2 Likes

ah I love this, when the bounds check has a purpose for the algorithm.

@bluss, in an itertools PR.

3 Likes