Some questions about cross-compiling

I have used Rust for a period, and I have basic knowledge about Rust, but I still don't have a no idea how to cross compile, I think cross-compile is not as easy as I thought.

Problem1: I usually worked on aarch64 linux, I have tried compile my code to x86_64-unknown-linux-musl by added its target by rustup and modified .cargo/config like follows, and everything goes well.

[target.x86_64-unknown-linux-musl]
linker="lld"

Then I tried compile to aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu which is my host but modified the config additionally like this:

[target.aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu]
linker="lld"

But it didn't worked as expectation this time.

...A dozen of command...
= note: lld: error: unable to find library -lgcc_s
          lld: error: unable to find library -lutil
          lld: error: unable to find library -lrt
          lld: error: unable to find library -lpthread
          lld: error: unable to find library -lm
          lld: error: unable to find library -ldl
          lld: error: unable to find library -lc

error: aborting due to previous error; 9 warnings emitted

error: could not compile `mcmu`

To learn more, run the command again with --verbose.

Then I tried to compile to x86_64-pc-windows-gnu as above did, but it also printed similar errors.
Why can I compile to x86 Linux but cannot compile to aarch64 Linux and windows even aarch64 Linux is my device's host? Am I have nothing to do except installing linkers for every platform?

Problem2:
If not, does it possible to install these missing library? How to do it? I have searched on the Internet for a long time but in vain.

Is there anybody can help me? Thanks!

I recommend you to use this GitHub - rust-embedded/cross: “Zero setup” cross compilation and “cross testing” of Rust crates which will help you to handle the deps issues.

Through the dockerfile you could find some examples about how to install the missing library cross/Dockerfile.aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu at master · rust-embedded/cross · GitHub.

Thanks, but I have trouble installing Docker on my Android device temporarily, I starred the repository and would find a way to solve the problem later, thank you all the same.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.