Rust is again most-loved in Stack Overflow survey

I have to come clean and say that the real reason I left Haskell out of the conversation was ignorance. Up until about a year ago I had never even heard of Haskell. Despite moving in and out of different industries in different countries over decades I have heard any one speak of it let alone use it. I should have added my usual get out clause "as far as I know".

Even now I have only seen a few dozen lines of Haskell, as the result of a "favorite language benchmark shoot out" a bunch of us had a while back. I immediately decided it was not for me. My Rust entry won by the way! Only the C entrant could get close.

L0uisc has a point. As far as I can tell Haskell is out of the running for much of the work I have ever done if it requires a complex run time and GC. It's not a systems programming language.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread, your insights are very helpful. If you want real names, job titles, and a link to your personal site included in the article, please email me at pitches@stackoverflow.com. Cheers!

1 Like

Article published! Why the developers who use Rust love it so much - Stack Overflow Blog

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

9 Likes

Isn't it the fifth year in a row?

2 Likes

I think you’re right. However, off-by-one errors is pretty common in this domain so I think it’s a pretty forgiving audience in that respect.

2 Likes

Wow! That is a great article.

And a quote from me is first on the list! :slight_smile:

Although I'm not sure the second quote from me is "Rust positive", as it were. More a general and perhaps not accurate observation about programmers and their relation to the languages they use.

What worries me is the bit about only 5% of whoever was asked actually using Rust. I can see many as interpreting that as making the whole discussion bogus.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.