Returning reference to a HashMap value in a function

I understand that a stack allocated value cannot be returned, but is it possible to return a reference to a HashMap value? If this is not possible I'll have to do another lookup in another function.

runnable code: Rust Playground

same code pasted:

use std::cell::RefCell;
use std::collections::HashMap;

struct File();
struct FS {
    files: RefCell<HashMap<u64, File>>
}

impl FS {
    fn new() -> FS {
        FS {
            files: RefCell::new(HashMap::<u64, File>::new())
        }
    }

fn return_ref_from_collection(&mut self) -> &File {
        let file = File();
        self.files.borrow_mut().insert(1, file);
        let f = self.files.borrow().get(&1).unwrap();
        // ... do thins with f
        f // => returns a value referencing data owned by the current function
        // but I think where f is referencing is not owned by this function
    }
}

fn main() {
    let mut fs = FS::new();
    fs.return_ref_from_collection();
}

You're returning a reference to a Ref that you got from borrow, which gets dropped at the end of the function's scope.

Is there a reason that you've put the files in a RefCell? Without that you could just return the reference normally.

It works fine without the RefCell: Playground

Alternately, you can use Ref::map to do your calculation inside the smart pointer returned by RefCell, and return that: Playground

I agree it's somewhat weird to put RefCell here. Anyway since you have an unique access(&mut) to the refcell so you don't need to care about shared mutability.

let map = self.file.get_mut();
map.insert(1, File);
map.get(&1).unwrap()
2 Likes

Thanks! Yes this snippet stripped some details, I need RefCell in the real logic to be able to borrow the inner HashMap as both mutable and immutable.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.