Read each line of an HTTP stream

I'm using tokio and reqwest to make a request to a local HTTP server that sends back newline delimited data.

I'd like to stream the response, line by line as the entire response can be very large. I don't want to hold the entire response in memory.

My solution below works, but only by accident because the server sends each response line-by-line but I can't guarantee that's what will always occur.

use futures_util::StreamExt;

#[tokio::main]
async fn main() -> Result<(), Box<dyn std::error::Error>> {
    println!("starting");

let mut stream = reqwest::get("http://localhost:8080")
        .await?
        .bytes_stream();

while let Some(item) = stream.next().await { // <- stream.read_lines() would be great here!
        println!("Chunk: {:?}", item?);
    }
    Ok(())
}

I looked at tokio::io::Lines but the reqwest stream doesn't implement tokio::io::AsyncBufRead

How should I go about this? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

To convert stream of bytes into AsyncBufRead:

1 Like

If you don't have an upper bound on the size of the chunks, using tokio::io::BufReader to get an AsyncBufRead instance may not work for you reliably. You can implement this fairly directly with a Vec though.

use futures_util::StreamExt;

#[tokio::main]
async fn main() -> Result<(), Box<dyn std::error::Error>> {
    println!("starting");

let mut stream = reqwest::get("http://localhost:8080/").await?.bytes_stream();

let mut buffer = Vec::new();
    while let Some(item) = stream.next().await {
        for byte in item? {
            // Might need to consider carriage returns too depending
            // on how the server is expected to send the data.
            if byte == b'\n' {
                println!("Got chunk: {:?}", buffer.as_slice());
                buffer.clear();
            } else {
                buffer.push(byte);
            }
        }
    }

Ok(())
}

There are probably ways to make that more efficient depending on the average expected chunk size, but it does work for me as is.

1 Like

Thanks @Hyeonu, that is the nudge in the direction I needed and I have it working.

I'll admit I don't entirely understand it but I can go through each part now and dig deeper.

Thanks @semicoleon , I had considered something similar too but was hoping to avoid it. That was my fallback plan though, thanks for confirming it wasn't too crazy of an idea!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.