Lib.rs link not opening

https://lib.rs/crates/cranefack

why is this not opening? we can search for cranefack in lib.rs and it shows up, yet clicking it does not work. why?

Looks like corruption.

@kornel

error[E0500]: lib.rs:1
Sorry, something went wrong!

bad cache: Simple cache db @file:/var/lib/crates-server/cratesiometadb.bin?cache=shared: database disk image is malformed

bad cache: Simple cache db @file:/var/lib/crates-server/cratesiometadb.bin?cache=shared: database disk image is malformed

Try refreshing the page.
Back to homepage.

Yup. I've disabled fsync in sqlite foolishly hoping it'd make it faster, and that's the consequence.
I've restored a backup and it should be fine now.

4 Likes

As an aside, I find it awesome that you apparently also have the courage for using SQLite as a serious database for a webservice. I almost thought I was alone being annoyed with having to set up a DB server even when the scale doesn't warrant it, but I was told so many times by so many programmers that "SQLite simply won't cut it" as a "real" backend DB.

It's even funnier than that. I store most of lib.rs data in a HashMap serialized with serde on disk. To change something I read gigabytes of data into memory, make the changes, and write all the gigabytes back to disk. With SSD speeds in GB/s even the worst way of doing things is fast.

All of the stats are also pure Rust for loops going over all the data, not SQL queries.

5 Likes

That reminds me of tailscale which did exactly the same before having to migrate to sqlite etcd due to performance reasons. See An unlikely database migration ยท Tailscale

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.