How to use macros derivative another struct

I often encounter this scene,really troublesome
I defined a full struct such as

struct A {
        name: String,
        id: u8,
    }

when I provide an external interface, I need this,which is identical except without a field name

struct A {
    }

When i don`t want to define two struct ,I need change to this one

struct A {
        name: Option<String>,
    }

But i don't like this way ,I think the macros may do me a favor ,but don't know,Is there a way to accomplish this;

such as

// I defined a full struct 
    #[derive(Debug)]
    struct A {
    }

// then  derive struct A,I got struct B 
    #[derive(Omit(A,"name"))]
    struct B {}
    // struct B equals  
    // struct B {id:u8} 

any advice would be grateful

It's doable but not quite the way you've written it. In a situation like this

#[derive(Omit(A,"name"))]
struct B {}

the macro only gets struct B {} as its input, it can't know what fields A has. Also, a derive macro cannot modify its input, it can only output additional code, so a derive macro couldn't change B's definition even if it knew what fields A had.

A macro that did this would probably look something like this

#[omit(B, name)]
struct A {
}

The macro would be relatively simple and I think it'd be a good first proc macro if you haven't written any before.

yeah,do you kown how to achieve this kind of #[omit(B, name)] [Attribute-like macros]. I am not familiar with macros

Why don't you simply use the Into trait for this?

Can you give a demo code , I don't know this way

Personally I would probably still make it a derive macro since it doesn't need to modify the original type definition, but I can see the argument for using an attribute macro.

If you haven't written a proc macro before I would recommend taking a look here

It walks you through getting started with the various different kinds of proc macros.

:+1:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.