How do you add two vectors?

If I have two vectors and the elements in the vector are structs, what I want to implement is to add elements in one vector to the other vector, similar to final_order = final_order + ordered;

you can add a mutable reference to the first one and use the .extend method

Do you mean concatenate?

let mut a = vec!['a', 'b', 'c'];
let mut b = vec!['d', 'e', 'f'];

b.append(&mut a);

assert!( b == vec!['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f'] );

Append will move all items from one vector to the end of the other.

This question from several years ago covers some other ways, depending on what you need the state of the original vectors to be afterwards.

My code is as follows:
let mut final_order = Vec::new();
let mut ordered = Vec::new();
final_order = final_order.extend(ordered);
But this error occurs:
mismatched types
expected struct 'Vec< Certificate> '
found unit type '()'

You are probably expecting to return a Vector from a function. The semicolon at the end makes the implicit return to be the Unit type.

Btw, please format your code.

Yes, I returned final_order and my return value type is Vec; But I still don't understand this error

My code is as follows:
let mut final_order = Vec::new();
let mut ordered = Vec::new();
final_order = final_order.append(&mut ordered);
But this error occurs:
mismatched types
expected struct 'Vec< Certificate> '
found unit type '()'
I returned final_order, and the return type of the function is Vec< Certificate> I really don't know why there is this error

look at the signature of append

1 Like

Maybe this helps you to understand:

A function can return a value if explicitly specified:

fn myFunc() -> Vec<usize> {
  let myVec = vec![1, 2, 3];

return myVec;
}

But you can also make the return implicit:

myVec // <- This function will return myVec, even when there's no "return" word.
}

Note that in the example above for the implicit return I didn't add a semicolon. Adding it turns the return type to be () (Also known as the Unit type) instead of Vec<usize>.

myVec; // <- The semicolon here is a mistake, and this will fail to compile.
}

Expanding on my previous answer (I was on my phone), on line 3 here you're trying to assign the return value of append to final_order.
append returns () but final_order is a Vec.

append modifies its Vec, it doesn't return a new one.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. With the help of you and another friend, I solved my problem. Thank you again.

Dear friends, thank you very much, with the help of you and another friend, I solved my problem, thank you again,

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.