Error 101 command cargo install metaboss

on command cargo install metaboss
I'm getting an error 101
i tried and update Rust and Cargo
and turned off the antivirus, nothing helps.s.
And I always run the command as administrator
help me please

Could you copy the full error text, instead of the screenshot?

I'm not on Windows so can't check this error, but other people on various forums have suggested:

1. Running the build command under WSL 2.
  2. See Sulaiman001's suggestion on error: failed to run custom build command for `ring v0.14.6` · Issue #63939 · rust-lang/rust · GitHub

Thanks bro
I'll watch everything now

error: failed to run custom build command for ring v0.16.20

Caused by:
process didn't exit successfully: C:\Users\HAY\AppData\Local\Temp\cargo-installr0OWdV\release\build\ring-73dcbf66c0630c63\build-script-build (exit code: 101)
--- stdout
OPT_LEVEL = Some("3")
TARGET = Some("x86_64-pc-windows-gnu")
HOST = Some("x86_64-pc-windows-gnu")
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=CC_x86_64-pc-windows-gnu
CC_x86_64-pc-windows-gnu = None
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=CC_x86_64_pc_windows_gnu
CC_x86_64_pc_windows_gnu = None
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=HOST_CC
HOST_CC = None
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=CC
CC = None
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=CFLAGS_x86_64-pc-windows-gnu
CFLAGS_x86_64-pc-windows-gnu = None
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=CFLAGS_x86_64_pc_windows_gnu
CFLAGS_x86_64_pc_windows_gnu = None
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=HOST_CFLAGS
HOST_CFLAGS = None
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=CFLAGS
CFLAGS = None
cargo:rerun-if-env-changed=CRATE_CC_NO_DEFAULTS
CRATE_CC_NO_DEFAULTS = None
DEBUG = Some("false")
CARGO_CFG_TARGET_FEATURE = Some("fxsr,sse,sse2")

--- stderr
running "gcc.exe" "-O3" "-ffunction-sections" "-fdata-sections" "-m64" "-I" "include" "-Wall" "-Wextra" "-std=c1x" "-Wbad-function-cast" "-Wnested-externs" "-Wstrict-prototypes" "-pedantic" "-pedantic-errors" "-Wall" "-Wextra" "-Wcast-align" "-Wcast-qual" "-Wconversion" "-Wenum-compare" "-Wfloat-equal" "-Wformat=2" "-Winline" "-Winvalid-pch" "-Wmissing-field-initializers" "-Wmissing-include-dirs" "-Wredundant-decls" "-Wshadow" "-Wsign-compare" "-Wsign-conversion" "-Wundef" "-Wuninitialized" "-Wwrite-strings" "-fno-strict-aliasing" "-fvisibility=hidden" "-g3" "-DNDEBUG" "-c" "-oC:\Users\HAY\AppData\Local\Temp\cargo-installr0OWdV\release\build\ring-6dd8aff42553a77e\out\aes_nohw.o" "crypto/fipsmodule/aes/aes_nohw.c"
thread 'main' panicked at 'failed to execute ["gcc.exe" "-O3" "-ffunction-sections" "-fdata-sections" "-m64" "-I" "include" "-Wall" "-Wextra" "-std=c1x" "-Wbad-function-cast" "-Wnested-externs" "-Wstrict-prototypes" "-pedantic" "-pedantic-errors" "-Wall" "-Wextra" "-Wcast-align" "-Wcast-qual" "-Wconversion" "-Wenum-compare" "-Wfloat-equal" "-Wformat=2" "-Winline" "-Winvalid-pch" "-Wmissing-field-initializers" "-Wmissing-include-dirs" "-Wredundant-decls" "-Wshadow" "-Wsign-compare" "-Wsign-conversion" "-Wundef" "-Wuninitialized" "-Wwrite-strings" "-fno-strict-aliasing" "-fvisibility=hidden" "-g3" "-DNDEBUG" "-c" "-oC:\Users\HAY\AppData\Local\Temp\cargo-installr0OWdV\release\build\ring-6dd8aff42553a77e\out\aes_nohw.o" "crypto/fipsmodule/aes/aes_nohw.c"]: program not found', C:\Users\HAY.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\ring-0.16.20\build.rs:653:9
note: run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display a backtrace
warning: build failed, waiting for other jobs to finish...
error: failed to compile metaboss v0.24.0, intermediate artifacts can be found at C:\Users\HAY\AppData\Local\Temp\cargo-installr0OWdV

What toolchain do you use (i.e. what does rustup toolchain list show)?

C:\Windows\System32>rustup toolchain list
stable-x86_64-pc-windows-gnu (default)
stable-x86_64-pc-windows-msvc
nightly-x86_64-pc-windows-msvc

:slightly_smiling_face:

You should run rustup default stable-x86_64-pc-windows-msvc and try re-compiling.

2 Likes

The error says "program not found" at the invocation of gcc.exe. You probably don't have a working C toolchain installed.

Can you please tell me how to install it?

Can you suggest how it's done?
I'm just a beginner and would be very grateful for the help

Open a terminal and run rustup default stable-x86_64-pc-windows-msvc. You already have a C/C++ compiler from Microsoft, so you shouldn't need to install another one.

1 Like

Oh
I did, but now I have returned the errors that were before. You helped me in my last post.

error: linker link.exe not found
|
= note: program not found

note: the msvc targets depend on the msvc linker but link.exe was not found

note: please ensure that Visual Studio 2017 or later, or Build Tools for Visual Studio were installed with the Visual C++ option.

note: VS Code is a different product, and is not sufficient.

error: could not compile quote due to previous error
error: could not compile proc-macro2 due to previous error
error: failed to compile metaboss v0.24.0, intermediate artifacts can be found at C:\Users\HAY\AppData\Local\Temp\cargo-installaM7lMM

Have you installed the Windows SDK? You can install the Windows SDK from the link below or from VS.

This is also needed to run the linker.

No
Now I will try to install

And what can I not install from this?
And nothing that I have Windows 11?

To be safe, you should install everything and then restart your computer.

If disk space or network bandwidth is an issue, you could probably get rid of arm/arm64 (bottom two options), assuming you're running an Intel/AMD machine.

1 Like

I installed everything and rebooted the laptop. Those mistakes have gone, this is beautiful and very grateful to you. But with the Moim of luck, the new error appeared. I read that the compiler cannot find the option updatev1 in Enum Delegateargs and Revokeargs ', and also cannot find the associated constant updatein EnumMetadatadelegaterole'.
Now I think how to solve it
The error occurred at the very end of the load

This error:
error[E0599]: no variant named UpdateV1 found for enum DelegateArgs
--> C:\Users\HAY.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\metaboss_lib-0.10.1\src\delegate\mod.rs:157:23
|
157 | DelegateArgs::UpdateV1 { .. } => {
| ^^^^^^^^ variant not found in DelegateArgs

error[E0599]: no variant or associated item named Update found for enum mpl_token_metadata::instruction::MetadataDelegateRole in the current scope
--> C:\Users\HAY.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\metaboss_lib-0.10.1\src\delegate\mod.rs:160:39
|
160 | MetadataDelegateRole::Update,
| ^^^^^^ variant or associated item not found in MetadataDelegateRole

error[E0599]: no variant named UpdateV1 found for enum RevokeArgs
--> C:\Users\HAY.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\metaboss_lib-0.10.1\src\revoke\mod.rs:156:21
|
156 | RevokeArgs::UpdateV1 { .. } => {
| ^^^^^^^^ variant not found in RevokeArgs

error[E0599]: no variant or associated item named Update found for enum mpl_token_metadata::instruction::MetadataDelegateRole in the current scope
--> C:\Users\HAY.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\metaboss_lib-0.10.1\src\revoke\mod.rs:159:39
|
159 | MetadataDelegateRole::Update,
| ^^^^^^ variant or associated item not found in MetadataDelegateRole

For more information about this error, try rustc --explain E0599.
error: could not compile metaboss_lib due to 4 previous errors
error: failed to compile metaboss v0.24.0, intermediate artifacts can be found at C:\Users\HAY\AppData\Local\Temp\cargo-installjQ5snk

It looks like one of metaboss-lib's dependencies, mpl_token_metadata, made some backwards incompatible change between version 1.10.0 and 1.11.0 (compare this version of MetadataDelegateRole with this version). Cargo assumes all crates follow semantic versioning and that it was perfectly fine to use 1.11.0 instead of 1.10.0, so it automatically tried to use the latest version... and fails to compile because of mpl_token_metadata's breaking change.

You can tell Cargo to not automatically use the latest version of mpl_token_metadata by installing with cargo install metaboss --locked. This will force cargo install to follow the exact versions in metaboss's Cargo.lock file and should resolve your problem.

You should also create a ticket against the mpl_token_metadata crate about the backwards incompatible change. There are breaking changes in that version, so the crate author should really yank mpl_token_metadata 1.11.0 and re-publish it as 2.0.0 so other users don't run into the same problem.

1 Like

Thanks a lot
Everything was successfully downloaded
Thank you all for your help
Good luck :heart:

1 Like