Following the recent announcement of
log 0.4.0-rc.1 I’m excited to announce an
0.5.0-rc.1 version of
env_logger! It now looks a bit like this:
See the release notes for some more details and breaking changes.
env_logger crate is what you would call a sink for the
log crate. It allows you to print log records created using
log's macros to
stderr. The plan for
env_logger going forward is good terminal logging with minimal friction. So in this release we’ve taken the crate’s existing features and tried to make them all just that little bit better. Some highlights include:
- You can now parse a custom environment variable as your logging filter instead of
- All records are now buffered using thread-local, color-aware buffers instead of being written to
- We now add a timestamp in the default format
We need your feedback!
This is an RC release so we’d really appreciate your thoughts on it before we call it
5.0.0 proper. Some things in particular:
- This release introduces some new dependencies;
- There’s an API for coloring portions of the record and grabbing a timestamp, but it’s not publicly exposed yet. We need some more input on how users would expect that to work. Please chime in if you have any thoughts!
- Should we pull the log filter parsing into an entirely separate crate?
If you get a chance to try it out or dig through the source I’d love to hear your thoughts!