Debugging in vscode

I am trying to debug avro-rs library in vscode and need some help in how best to set up my debugger. I am using following launch config

{
    "version": "0.2.0",
    "configurations": [

{
            "name": "(OSX) Launch",
            "type": "lldb",
            "request": "launch",
            "program": "${workspaceRoot}/target/debug/krak",
            "args": [],
            "cwd": "${workspaceRoot}",

}
    ]
}

The issue is I cannot see the value of any variable as you can see from the attached screenshot. How can I see the variables, especially if I am debugging a library?

It's a bit hard to understand the problem sorry. In your screenshot you are examining the value of a struct, and there are values for local variables shown in the menu on the left. Could you explain what you are hoping to see?

2 Likes

Thanks for replying but i thought my question was pretty clear, aside from primitives, I dont see value of any other variable getting displayed while debugging, be it strings or hashmaps with string keys. I have attached another screenshot below. I dont see the value for either string s or raw_schema.

Aha I see now what you mean. I can replicate what you're talking about by running either lldb or rust-lldb from the command line and showing local variables with fr v. (The latter command includes the relevant Rust formatters and it looks much nicer.)

Which LLDB plugin are you using in VS Code? I am using one called "CodeLLDB". Testing with your supplied launch.json, it seems to invoke lldb correctly for Rust.

1 Like

Yeah, I am using CodeLLDB as well, well atleast I can see the plugin is installed.

For me, its not showing any values other than the primitives (see variable complex in the screenshot )

Hello! I am having the same issue as @ajayrathore on OSX with the same CodeLLDB plugin for debugging. Was that problem solved for you already and if yes, how?

Best regards,

Tim

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.