Crate of the Week

I'd like to nominate enum_delegate - a crate that, in essence, helps you implement a trait on many types across crate boundaries, while avoiding the runtime cost of dynamic dispatch. This is especially useful for digital/audio signal processing with graphs, where nodes with different processes need to be executed under tight timing constraints.

3 Likes

Remember that some of us are newbies, and any pointers to crates we should prioritize learning about are helpful, even if they're obvious to experienced users.

The problem with an open library is that there may be multiple solutions for a given problem. I haven't looked yet -- do we have a mechanism for "yes, this is the current best of breed in this area?"

Hi, I'd like to nominate Hurl (I'm one of the maintainer) as we have released a new 1.8.0 version.

Hurl allows you to test and run HTTP requests with a plain text format and libcurl. Hurl can be used for fetching data, testing HTTP sessions and testing XML / JSON APIs. It is available on Linux, Mac and Windows. We use it intensively to test our Web site and APIs in a CI/CD pipeline.

3 Likes

I'd like to nominate async_fn_traits.

It allows you to straightforwardly write trait bounds for a generic function that accepts an async fn, without needing to introduce a second type parameter for the future. And that's all it does, defining AsyncFn* and blanket trait impls — no macros you need to use, or any other complication.

4 Likes

I'd like to self-nominate lngcnv which is a command-line linguistic tool. After 6 months of work, today, I released v1.6.0. The source code has been almost completely rewritten but the program is fully backwards compatible with v1.5.1 and earlier versions released earlier this year.

lngcnv (1) displays the exact phonetic (not just phonemic) pronunciation of a phrase in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), (2) translates between different (e.g., dialectal) varieties of a language, and (3) converts between different (e.g., regional) norms of orthography.

A word or some piece of text can be provided either (a) as an argument directly from the command line or (b) in a file, such as a hundreds of pages long book. [(c) a REPL mode is planned for v1.7.0 ]

Six modern and ancient languages are currently supported, often including several dialects:

• English

• Latin

• Polish (three dialects)

• Quechua

• Spanish (five dialects)

• Tikuna (five dialects)

This includes two languages spoken by Native Americans, which I'm studying, one from the Amazon basin and one from the Andes. :innocent:

9 Likes

I partially self-nominate graph: A library that provides a collection of high-performant graph algorithms and an API for building your own algorithms.

It is build to support parallel algorithms on large-scale graphs with billions of nodes and edges. In addition to the Rust library, it also offers a Python extension and an Arrow Flight based RPC interface.

We just released a new version that can be used on stable, thanks to the stabilization of GATs.

The library is written by a friend of mine and myself.

20 Likes

I'd like to self-nominate code-radio-cli. It's a command line music radio client for https://coderadio.freecodecamp.org (about). It supports Windows, Linux, and should work on macOS.

I listen to freeCodeCamp's Code Radio every time I want to focus when coding. It's a network music radio that plays music designed for coding, 24/7.

When I started learning Rust, I thought the fastest way to learn it is to port some programs I wrote before to Rust. I wrote a Code Radio GUI client before, so I ported it to Rust as a cool console program.

Now when I want some music while coding, I just run code-radio in my IDE's terminal.

Screenshot

9 Likes

Nice work, @JasonWei512 ! This is now one of my favourite crates! :smiley:

2 Likes

I'd like to self-nominate file-format: a crate for determining binary-based file formats.

This crate mainly uses the magic number to detect the file formats.

1 Like

I'd like to self-nominate solomondb which is an embedded Gremlin-compatible graph database that supports multiple storage engine, currently RocksDB and Redb. The current version of SolomonDB allows you to work wit RocksDB or Redb using Gremlin query language. Hence, applying graph data structure to manage key-value pairs in those embedded storage layer.

SolomonDB embedded storage is easy to set up. You only need to identify the path where your database will be located and it's good to go.

use solomondb::Datastore;

let datastore = Datastore::new(path);
let db = Database::new(datastore.borrow());

SolomonDB supports GQL (Gremlin Query Language) and it does not require Gremlin Server or Apache TinkerPop to operate. You can query data on top of embedded storages. Below are examples on how to create vertices, properties and traverse to retrieve data.

// Create two new vertices with properties
let t1 = db
.traverse()
.v(1)
.add_v("person")
.property("github", "tin-snowflake")
.property("name", "Tin Chung")
.property("age", 21)
.add_v("coder")
.property("github", "chungquantin")
.property("age", 30);

// Traverse vertices which have property "github" and label "person"
let t2 = t1.clone().has_key("github").has_label("person").exec().to_list().await.unwrap();
// Traverse vertices which have property "github"
let t3 = t1.clone().has_key("github").exec().to_list().await.unwrap();
// Traverse vertices which does not have property "name"
let t4 = t1.clone().has_not("name").exec().next().await.unwrap();

The road map of SolomonDB will include:

• Support more storage engines, help to graph modelize the embedded storage
  • Add protobuf and enable single-node mode.
  • Add client libraries (Javascript / Rust) to interact with SolomonDB from client side.

The mission of SolomonDB is to make graph traversal become easier, aim at plug-and-play database that can run directly in client app.

1 Like

I'd like to self-nominate dcp. dcp is a container utility tool that enables you to easily extract data from a container filesystem. It has extensive documentation and has an MIT license. It is available to download via pre-built binaries and crates.io.

I'd like to nominate RustTyC, which I discovered a couple years ago (but only sent a PR to recently). It's a library for general, lattice-based type checking and inference, and it makes writing (correct) type checkers much easier.

3 Likes

I'd like to nominate zeroize, which is used to overwrite sensitive memory with zeros on drop.

2 Likes

I'd like to self-nominate lazy_format, a lazy version of format! for more efficient composed string formatting operations

7 Likes

I'd like to self-nomiate Edma, a terminal app for embedded database management system. It helps me a lot in manging multiple embedded databases at once, from RocksDB to Redb. The built-in bytes deserializer is so powerful and versatile.

5 Likes

i'd like to self-nominate faer, a linear algebra library written in pure Rust, with a focus on correctness, portability, and high performance that matches or surpasses the commonly used C/C++ libraries.

12 Likes

I'd like to self-nominate diesel-oci, a diesel backend and connection implementation for oracle databases.

1 Like

I'd like to self-nominate cargo-rdme: a cargo command to create your README from your crate’s documentation (which supports intralinks by linking to docs.rs).

3 Likes

I'd like to self-nominate git-leave, a minimal cli that explores a folder to find repositories with unsaved changes or commits that are not yet pushed to their origin. You can also specify a kind of global projects folder in your git configuration to have a quick look at your repos.

A custom memory allocator that enables profiling memory usage of Rust programs:

6 Likes