Compilation error because two different versions of crate are being used?

Hi all,

New to Rust programming and this is my first post here. I need help with probably a dependency problem.

My crate depends on libpnet, version "^0.25.0". libpnet uses the ipnetwork crate version "0.15.1". My crate also uses the ipnetwork crate. When I was using the same version as libpnet does, my crate compiles fine. But if I upgrade the version of ipnetwork in my crate's Cargo.toml to the latest "0.16.0", I get the following error which I don't know how to fix (except staying on 0.15.1 in my crate):

error[E0308]: mismatched types
  --> ucat/src/interface.rs:28:5
   |
28 |     iface.ips.iter().find(|ipn| ipn.is_ipv4())
   |     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ expected enum `ipnetwork::IpNetwork`, found a different enum `ipnetwork::IpNetwork`
   |
   = note: expected enum `std::option::Option<&ipnetwork::IpNetwork>` (enum `ipnetwork::IpNetwork`)
              found enum `std::option::Option<&ipnetwork::IpNetwork>` (enum `ipnetwork::IpNetwork`)
   = note: perhaps two different versions of crate `ipnetwork` are being used?

error: aborting due to previous error

The function that contains this line of code failing to compile:

fn find_ipv4(iface: &NetworkInterface) -> Option<&IpNetwork> {
    iface.ips.iter().find(|ipn| ipn.is_ipv4())
}

The ips field of the pnet::datalink::NetworkInterface struct has the type Vec<IpNetwork>. The Docs link of this struct is here. The Docs link of the IpNetwork enum is here.

Same error with Rust v1.40 (using the rust:1.40 docker image) and Rust v1.41 (on macOS). I have tried cargo clean && cargo build.

In 0.16.0 of ipnetwork, the impl of serde::Deserialize trait has become optional for the enum IpNetwork and its variants, controlled by a feature gate. I have tried compiling with and without the feature. No difference.

Where should I look at for a solution or even a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

If libpnet depends on ipnetwork 0.15, you won't be able to convince it to use 0.16. Perhaps you can find a way of converting into the new version of the type. Or you could submit a PR to libpnet to update their dependencies.

You are probably right about that I shouldn't just upgrade ipnetwork for my crate. Having thought about it, I think ipnetwork 0.16.0 is probably a breaking change due to the now optional impl of the serde trait aforementioned. Thus 0.16.0 and 0.15.1 are indeed imcompatible.