Clippy & fix + rlib complaints?

I keep running in to this with cargo clippy and cargo fix over the years, and I'm not sure if there is something I'm missing or can actually do to mitigate.

It seems like almost any time I add a crate to my Cargo.toml, the libraries aren't available in rlib format, and that breaks "clippy fix" and causes "cargo clippy" to throw out error messages after reporting stuff.

$ cargo clippy
... whole bunch of things I need to fix ...
error: crate `rayon` required to be available in rlib format, but was not found in this form

warning: `<project name>` (bin "<project name>") generated 8 warnings
error: could not compile `<project name>` due to previous error; 8 warnings emitted

then if I try to use cargo flx

error: crate `rayon` required to be available in rlib format, but was not found in this form

error: could not compile `<project name>` due to previous error
warning: build failed, waiting for other jobs to finish...
error: could not compile `<project name>` due to previous error

I can drop out rayon, and then it complains about another crate I'm including as suffering from the same issue.

It seems like it happens with practically any crate I may add to a project, and seems to make clippy fix useless to me. I feel like I must be doing something wrong somehow, but I'm not sure what that would be?

Can you reproduce this with a small, shareable example? There must be something unusual about what you're doing, but I can't guess what it might be...

I'm pretty sure there's nothing weird about what I'm doing? I put details in the README.

$ rustc --version
rustc 1.67.0 (fc594f156 2023-01-24)
$ cargo --version
cargo 1.67.0 (8ecd4f20a 2023-01-10)

I've been seeing this for quite a while, just never really got to the stage of looking at it properly.

I just cloned that repo on to another machine I have access to, and it isn't complaining that way so something weird about my main machine somehow? I'll keep digging in, bound to be something stupid.

edit: I should add, cargo build works completely fine. The only things that ever seem to barf is clippy and fix

Do you have any local configuration on your main machine? That would be .cargo/config or .cargo/config.toml in any of the parent directories of the project. Any RUST or CARGO-related environment variables would be relevant too.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.